Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Anyone recently bought N95 mask

I will be able to do in-home speech therapy sessions soon. I’ve had the Covid vaccine. I’m worried about being Covid home to family, so I was looking to get a N95 mask I’ll wear with a face shield. I’m self-employed for in-home therapy so can’t get it through an employer. Has anyone gotten any recently they could recommend? Or maybe a K95 if I can’t get a N95

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 01-23-2021 at 02:02 AM.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I ordered these from Costco and split them with a few friends. They were on sale last week- not anymore.
    https://www.costco.com/niosh-n95-rou...100707773.html

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My friend likes these- they are fda approved- she says they are comfortable.
    https://bonafidemasks.com/kn95-respi...yo1XH9mHaCS04Q

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    My friend likes these- they are fda approved- she says they are comfortable.
    https://bonafidemasks.com/kn95-respi...yo1XH9mHaCS04Q
    Thanks, I just bought a pack of the headband style and a pack of the ear elastic style to try. My husband may have to fly for work next month, and I'd feel a lot better if he had a good mask.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I will say from a SLP perspective, with a N95 on they will have a very hard time hearing you much more than with a surgical mask. Will you be doing artic therapy? I only wear a n95 at work work covid positive patients, even the surgical masks muffle sound and any modeling (for oral motor movements are almost impossible, I have stepped back and raised my mask (while wearing a face shield) as the patient wasn't understanding the verbal cues.

A friend here is doing home health ped therapy and she has a shield and surgical mask and goes through so many sanitizing wipes and has limited what she uses (can't use decks of cards as they won't last through due to sanitizing). She also has special stuff to safely wipe down her iPad she uses for point of service documentation and for therapy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I will say from a SLP perspective, with a N95 on they will have a very hard time hearing you much more than with a surgical mask. Will you be doing artic therapy? I only wear a n95 at work work covid positive patients, even the surgical masks muffle sound and any modeling (for oral motor movements are almost impossible, I have stepped back and raised my mask (while wearing a face shield) as the patient wasn't understanding the verbal cues.

A friend here is doing home health ped therapy and she has a shield and surgical mask and goes through so many sanitizing wipes and has limited what she uses (can't use decks of cards as they won't last through due to sanitizing). She also has special stuff to safely wipe down her iPad she uses for point of service documentation and for therapy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I was wondering about the N95 and being heard. I use a surgical mask and a face shield at the hospital. Face shield is required with patients that aren’t able to wear a mask, which are many of the patients. A colleague wore a N95 due to being pregnant. I’ll need to limit materials too and have sanitizing protocols.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

We’ve been using the KN95s purchased through Bona Fide Masks (https://bonafidemasks.com) since the Spring. I believe they also have N95s now. I totally vouch for the company. Super fast delivery, great customer service, systems in place to confirm masks are legit, and a long established distributor that pivoted for the pandemic.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

FYI--in our hospital, on the Covid unit--not ICU, just "regular" Covid, staff wear regular surgical masks, gloves, gowns. And that's it. No face shields, etc. Obviously if there is any aerosolizing procedure, there is a different protocol.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    FYI--in our hospital, on the Covid unit--not ICU, just "regular" Covid, staff wear regular surgical masks, gloves, gowns. And that's it. No face shields, etc. Obviously if there is any aerosolizing procedure, there is a different protocol.
    That's crazy! We are required to wear N95 and eye protection with ALL patient contact, even outpatient non-COVID. Even my front desk ppl behind plexiglass wear N95 these days.

Nicci - if you want to invest, buy an Envo mask. It's not cheap but it is comfortable, reusable, and is pretty reliable for fit testing if you are caucasian. We've had trouble in my department with Asian people with flatter nose bridges failing fit testing. Be sure to use the plug to protect others from you instead of the valve. This is pretty much what DH and I wear these days, all day every day.

ETA the Envo is the best for voice projection of all the N95 models I've used (3M "green" N95, duckbill, 3M elastomeric). Do NOT buy the elastomeric, it makes you sound like you're at the other end of a very long tunnel Wear goggles instead of a face shield cause the shield blocks a fair bit of sound too.
    Last edited by basil; 01-23-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    That's crazy! We are required to wear N95 and eye protection with ALL patient contact, even outpatient non-COVID. Even my front desk ppl behind plexiglass wear N95 these days.

Nicci - if you want to invest, buy an Envo mask. It's not cheap but it is comfortable, reusable, and is pretty reliable for fit testing if you are caucasian. We've had trouble in my department with Asian people with flatter nose bridges failing fit testing. Be sure to use the plug to protect others from you instead of the valve. This is pretty much what DH and I wear these days, all day every day.

ETA the Envo is the best for voice projection of all the N95 models I've used (3M "green" N95, duckbill, 3M elastomeric). Do NOT buy the elastomeric, it makes you sound like you're at the other end of a very long tunnel Wear goggles instead of a face shield cause the shield blocks a fair bit of sound too.
    Yes--they do wear eye protection, forgot that part. We all have goggles/eyeglasses that we use. This is all approved by our Infectious Disease staff at a large major academic medical center. In the psych hospital where I work, everyone wears surgical mask and eye glasses/goggles to interact with patients. The patients wear cloth masks. But, no the N95 is not required or provided for this type of patient interaction. DH, in the ED, is in an N95, and eye protection. When he works in the Covid zone he is obviously in the PAPPER (sp???), gowned, etc etc etc!!!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast