Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    That's crazy! We are required to wear N95 and eye protection with ALL patient contact, even outpatient non-COVID. Even my front desk ppl behind plexiglass wear N95 these days.

Nicci - if you want to invest, buy an Envo mask. It's not cheap but it is comfortable, reusable, and is pretty reliable for fit testing if you are caucasian. We've had trouble in my department with Asian people with flatter nose bridges failing fit testing. Be sure to use the plug to protect others from you instead of the valve. This is pretty much what DH and I wear these days, all day every day.

ETA the Envo is the best for voice projection of all the N95 models I've used (3M "green" N95, duckbill, 3M elastomeric). Do NOT buy the elastomeric, it makes you sound like you're at the other end of a very long tunnel Wear goggles instead of a face shield cause the shield blocks a fair bit of sound too.
    Yes--they do wear eye protection, forgot that part. We all have goggles/eyeglasses that we use. This is all approved by our Infectious Disease staff at a large major academic medical center. In the psych hospital where I work, everyone wears surgical mask and eye glasses/goggles to interact with patients. The patients wear cloth masks. But, no the N95 is not required or provided for this type of patient interaction. DH, in the ED, is in an N95, and eye protection. When he works in the Covid zone he is obviously in the PAPPER (sp???), gowned, etc etc etc!!!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Yes--they do wear eye protection, forgot that part. We all have goggles/eyeglasses that we use. This is all approved by our Infectious Disease staff at a large major academic medical center. In the psych hospital where I work, everyone wears surgical mask and eye glasses/goggles to interact with patients. The patients wear cloth masks. But, no the N95 is not required or provided for this type of patient interaction. DH, in the ED, is in an N95, and eye protection. When he works in the Covid zone he is obviously in the PAPPER (sp???), gowned, etc etc etc!!!!!
    That was what they were saying back in April...that N95 not required with COVID patients unless aerosolizing. Everyone felt really uncomfortable with that, but there were not enough N95 to go around. We either bought our own or reused for months at a time. ID staff at this large academic medical center has changed tune now and bought the Envo and/or elastomeric for all patient-facing staff. All patients, even outpatients, are given Level 2-3 rated surgical masks to wear instead of or on top of their cloth masks.

I'm not surprised that N95 isn't required for non-COVID units, but it seems really odd not to give staff working w COVID patients N95 at this point in the pandemic!
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Anyone recently bought N95 mask

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    That's crazy! We are required to wear N95 and eye protection with ALL patient contact, even outpatient non-COVID. Even my front desk ppl behind plexiglass wear N95 these days.

Nicci - if you want to invest, buy an Envo mask. It's not cheap but it is comfortable, reusable, and is pretty reliable for fit testing if you are caucasian. We've had trouble in my department with Asian people with flatter nose bridges failing fit testing. Be sure to use the plug to protect others from you instead of the valve. This is pretty much what DH and I wear these days, all day every day.

ETA the Envo is the best for voice projection of all the N95 models I've used (3M "green" N95, duckbill, 3M elastomeric). Do NOT buy the elastomeric, it makes you sound like you're at the other end of a very long tunnel Wear goggles instead of a face shield cause the shield blocks a fair bit of sound too.
    Thanks. I wear glasses so I’d have to find goggles that fit over the glasses. It may be more comfortable as the face shield is annoying. The school district for my main job is trying to arrange in-person therapy services. So I’ll need PPE for then and I do not trust the district to provide adequate PPE.

It’s difficult to do my job and stay 6’ away and many of the patients I work with need me to be closer for their own safety. I’m usually with them for 30-60 minutes at a time. I actually feel safer when I do my hospital shifts, everyone is tested when admitted and safety protocols are followed. I’ll follow those protocols, but I know not everyone in the school or home environment will be able to do so. I want to get back in person, but need to do it safely for my family.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 01-23-2021 at 03:44 PM.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbert View Post
    We’ve been using the KN95s purchased through Bona Fide Masks (https://bonafidemasks.com) since the Spring. I believe they also have N95s now. I totally vouch for the company. Super fast delivery, great customer service, systems in place to confirm masks are legit, and a long established distributor that pivoted for the pandemic.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    I order from this company as well and really like their KN95 masks. However, I ordered the N95 mask (L-188) and I really didn't like it. it was very large and hard to fit.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nicci, have you considered using a large plexiglass partition? Then you can see the childs mouth etc and they are able to follow your articulators, facial expressions etc. I guess depending on the kiddos goals etc I'd need to see their mouth etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What about something like this? I know they’re goofy looking, but maybe speech therapy is the perfect use. I can’t speak to how safe it is compared to N95. (I have two of the regular style for soccer games.)

https://utwpods.com/collections/wearable-pods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nfceagles; 01-23-2021 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Nicci, have you considered using a large plexiglass partition? Then you can see the childs mouth etc and they are able to follow your articulators, facial expressions etc. I guess depending on the kiddos goals etc I'd need to see their mouth etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    They’re talking about that at school, but we would still need to wear a mask. They also want us to give assessments and stay 6’ away. So we asked how are we supposed to turn the page in the testing easel - we joke they’ll give us those grabbers to reach things up high. We can’t stay 6’ away from some students due to their safety needs.

At the hospital I’ve worked inpatient with patients with apraxia following a stroke. I’ve been able to have parent drop their mask to show child what to do with their articulators and I keep my mask and face shield on. Child wasn’t masked so I could see what they were doing. Still not ideal situation. I feel somewhat ok with that due to the hospital’s testing protocols. I would not do that in the school setting - so many more kids and so many more exposures. Plus my 2 schools are in LA’s hottest hotspot. I think I’ll try to find a mask with the clear panel that won’t fog up too much, and pair it with a face shield for articulation students. Language students I can wear a different mask.

I’m being told students must remain masked though. I’m still teletherapy and I have students at childcare who have to wear a mask or students with unstable internet connection that has to keep their video off. I’m getting good at just using my hearing to provide corrections. At least with teletherapy they can see my model.

Last edited by niccig; 01-23-2021 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    What about something like this? I know they’re goofy looking, but maybe speech therapy is the perfect use. I can’t speak to how safe it is compared to N95. (I have two of the regular style for soccer games.)

There are all kinds of options people are trying to see what will work

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    My friend likes these- they are fda approved- she says they are comfortable.
    https://bonafidemasks.com/kn95-respi...yo1XH9mHaCS04Q
    Thanks, I just bought a pack of the headband style and a pack of the ear elastic style to try. My husband may have to fly for work next month, and I'd feel a lot better if he had a good mask.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post

I LOVE these, what a great idea!! Id get them for flying

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast