MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Would you do a sleep study right now?

DS has sleep apnea and at his last check up the dr wanted to do a new sleep study to see if he still has apnea and needs his CPAP. I’m pretty confident he’ll fail and that the report just looks good because the CPAP is working. DS wants to do it though to find out. It’s scheduled for next week in a hospital. I’ve felt pretty comfortable going to Dr appointments, but I’m not sure how I feel about this. Do you think it’s safe to be doing that during covid?

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you felt it was important medically, then I would do it. Sounds like you don't think it's a problem to put it off, so I would put it off. I am guessing they are super safe in that kind of environment, but don't see enough reason to risk it. I know your ds wants to do it, but in my opinion it's an adult decision made with input from the child. His reasons for wanting to do it would not make me change my mind in this case, but that's just how I make my decisions and I know others do it differently.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

I did two recently and felt very comfortable with the process and safety precautions

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When a family member had a sleep study, I was surprised that she was sent the gear to do it at home, and her results were sent electronically to the sleep lab. As expected, she was dx'd with sleep apnea and she was then sent the CPAP and instructions. Can’t remember if this was pre-COVID or during the early days, but her impression was that this was their standard procedure for sleep studies, not a COVID thing. I know that she has had 1 or more appts with her pulmonologist in the past 10 months, and for each of those, she had to get a negative COVID test within xx hours of the appt.

No idea whether home sleep studies are done for kids, but might be worth asking.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You sound very unsure. I think you should contact the hospital, find out their protocols and then see if you are OK with them.

Since this is not an urgent need, I would be leaning to decline/delay the test. Wait until summer.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's at a hospital, not a separate clinic? If so, how occupied is the floor he will be on? I can't imagine it would be too populated for such a routine procedure. I would most likely keep the appt and proceed. I remember when DH had his done, he slept at home with many leads etc glued on to him.
    K