Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I did not read the replies so this might have been mentioned but this article was just in the NYT. Worth a read. I was able to read it without subscribing so hopefully most of you haven’t used up your free articles. The advice is too late for me since my DC are seniors but hopefully it will help some of you!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/23/b...merit-aid.html
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Mom View Post
    I did not read the replies so this might have been mentioned but this article was just in the NYT. Worth a read. I was able to read it without subscribing so hopefully most of you haven’t used up your free articles. The advice is too late for me since my DC are seniors but hopefully it will help some of you!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/23/b...merit-aid.html
    Excellent article and this has been our plan all along. I really don't think it takes planning in middle school though. All you need to do is target schools, any schools, where your child is in the top 25% of applicants. If you're flexible in school location then you have even more options. DS1 wants to only attend a school in the Pacific Northwest so that narrowed down his options quickly. Yes he could probably get a full tuition merit aid scholarship if he was willing to go to a large public university in Arizona or Alabama, but that just doesn't appeal to him.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well after posting in this thread I had a couple ads pop up on Facebook for seminars for students to help them choose a major and figure out their interests. I can’t remember if Outschool was one of the ads but we have done Outschool classes before and they are good and I know they have classes for this kind of thing.

Whenever I read about someone successful in any field I try to pay attention to their background. From this I know that successful people come from such diverse backgrounds... some Ivy League but many are not. I know that my kids can be successful on many different paths and ultimately their college choice may have nothing to do with it. Recently a teacher at DS’s school told us about teaching last year’s Valedictorian who is now at Yale. He said was differentiated him was that he was always working. He said he was a good student but ultimately invested the time to work towards his goals. I’m trying to stress this work ethic to DS who for now just gets frustrated if something isn’t easy.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6