Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Suggestions for areas to Rent a lakefront house in Michigan

This it posted here for traffic. I've heard there are many beautiful areas to rent a lake house for a week this summer in Michigan (we are in a neighboring state). We don't really want to be on one of the Great Lakes but on a smaller lake (where we could be lake front and fish and swim), possibly near a cool state park or Great Lake beach. My sisters family always goes to Traverse City, which would be an option. I'm also potentially interested in areas near the some of the dunes. Any good suggestions?
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We always go to Traverse City too. Really like staying in Suttons Bay.
    One year we were too late to find something good (trying to plan a family trip with ds1's family is challenging!) and we wound up in Interlochen on Duck Lake. Swimmers itch is a common problem on the smaller lakes and everyone got it. But, it was otherwise a fun trip.
    The Homestead Resort around Sleeping Bear has a lot of good lodging options.
    I really like Lake Leelanau too.
    I am just a big fan of that part of MI. I know people like the southern areas but we just haven't tried them.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Look on Little Traverse Lake, Glen Lake or Little Glen, or Lake Leelanau to be positioned very near the Sleeping Bear Dunes and also on an inland lake. Those are all great options. Other inland lakes near dunes - Pentwater (near Silver Lake dunes), Betsie or Crystal Lake (near Frankfort) which isn't far from either Silver Lake or Sleeping Bear.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wequetonsing/Harbor Springs. It's Lake Michigan, but on Little Traverse Bay. If you can get a cottage in Weque, you will love it and you can walk to Harbor Springs or drive to Petosky (10 min). Mackinac Island is 45 minutes away.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Lake Charlevoix? It’s a bigger lake, but it’s not a Great Lake. Our neighbors went there this past summer and loves it. We’re staying at the Inn at Bay Harbor this summer, which is not far from there so I’m hoping to go check it out. I’ve heard the area is beautiful.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ok... thanks for all of the suggestions! You guys rock! Now I’m a little nervous about swimmers itch ?! Should we look for something on Lake Michigan? Where can I avoid this???

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Off to google "swimmer's itch!"

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Swimmers itch- either apply some baby oil type product before you go in the water OR just towel dry immediately after exiting the water. It’s really just a problem in the warm, shallow water. Swimming off a dock helps as opposed to wading in from the shore. It’s not worthy of changing gears on your vacation ideas but just good to plan for.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have been swimming in lakes for my entire 53 years, never had swimmers itch.

You could look around the Lake Michigan towns of Saugatuck, or near Holland and then expand to the lakes nearby. Just an FYI, a lot of rental homes on Lake Michigan lost their waterfront in the last two summers due to high water levels, so read any descriptions closely.

Also, depending on where you are coming from, Door County in Wisconsin has a lot of rentals and is very pretty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I have been swimming in lakes for my entire 53 years, never had swimmers itch.

You could look around the Lake Michigan towns of Saugatuck, or near Holland and then expand to the lakes nearby. Just an FYI, a lot of rental homes on Lake Michigan lost their waterfront in the last two summers due to high water levels, so read any descriptions closely.

Also, depending on where you are coming from, Door County in Wisconsin has a lot of rentals and is very pretty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Perhaps you just aren’t allergic?

“Swimmer's itch is a rash caused by an allergic reaction to the larvae of certain parasites. The parasites can get under your skin when you swim in freshwater (such as lakes and ponds) and sometimes salt water. But you can't get swimmer's itch from swimming pools that are treated with chlorine.
    The tiny parasites infect birds or mammals and lay eggs. Bird and mammal droppings that contain the eggs get into lakes and ponds. The eggs hatch into larvae, which then infect snails. The snails in turn release the larvae into the water, where the larvae look for a host. If they come in contact with people, the parasites can burrow under the skin. This causes an allergic reaction and a rash.
    But the larvae can't survive in humans, so the parasites die. As a result, the rash usually goes away on its own and doesn't need treatment. The rash can't be spread from person to person.”
    https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/abl0355

Happened to us on both Lake Leelanau and Duck Lake. Didn’t have that problem on sone other lakes though. 🤷*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast