Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DD had swimmers itch one summer maybe 10 years ago. We've been in that same lake for 14 years now and she was the only one ever to have it.

It was pretty awful for her. She was 4-6 years old. But now we just towel of right away and no one has had an issue since.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Kris

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I spent my summers in various lakes, with my kids, all my family and friends who own cottages and live in the water, have never heard of anyone with this. Are these man made lakes or freshwater lakes that this happens in?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I spent my summers in various lakes, with my kids, all my family and friends who own cottages and live in the water, have never heard of anyone with this. Are these man made lakes or freshwater lakes that this happens in?

The Airbnb host of our Duck Lake rental contacted us ahead of the trip to say that it was an issue that summer. I think it has to do with temperature and the kinds of birds around.
    Looking at the CDC, Mayo... it’s just kind of luck of the draw whether a particular body of water is affected and it can change over the course of the summer.
    I’d say you’ve gotten lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Re swimmer's itch - I grew up in MI and have been to dozens of the inlands lakes over the years. Some are more prone to swimmer's itch than others and I've gotten it a couple of times and it isn't fun. I personally tend to think that the lakes with a lot of little coves and fingers get it worse, but I have nothing to back that up. I know that Lake Leelanau, Torch Lake and Lake Charlevoix get it a lot as I had friends with cottages on those that dealt with it every summer. We had a place on Crystal Lake for years and we had it one summer but never again. I've gotten it once at Long Lake near Traverse City too. But it usually isn't a problem at most places and like others have said, if you do a fresh water rinse right after getting out it usually stays under control. It is seldom bad enough that it keeps you out of the water.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    Re swimmer's itch - I grew up in MI and have been to dozens of the inlands lakes over the years. Some are more prone to swimmer's itch than others and I've gotten it a couple of times and it isn't fun. I personally tend to think that the lakes with a lot of little coves and fingers get it worse, but I have nothing to back that up. I know that Lake Leelanau, Torch Lake and Lake Charlevoix get it a lot as I had friends with cottages on those that dealt with it every summer. We had a place on Crystal Lake for years and we had it one summer but never again. I've gotten it once at Long Lake near Traverse City too. But it usually isn't a problem at most places and like others have said, if you do a fresh water rinse right after getting out it usually stays under control. It is seldom bad enough that it keeps you out of the water.
    Houghton Lake and Higgins Lake both have it at times too. My parents have a house on a small lake near Houghton Lake and that's where DD got it. Their beach front is kind of the corner of the lake, so what you are saying makes sense. I grew up in Michigan and have been in many lakes and never had it.
    Kris

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Guess Canadian lakes are different? Very interesting.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We live in Michigan and do a lot of kayaking, hiking, camping, etc. We have swum in a gazillion inland lakes and never experiences swimmer's itch. It's not something I hear of folks dealing with either. That's not to say that it doesn't happen, but I cannot imagine it is terribly prevalent. I have seen warnings a handful of times at some of the shallower lakes.

That said - don't discount the attraction of swimming in the big lake. Its hands down our favorite. Lots of the places recommended are great, but pretty tourism-based. Given COVID, if you're looking for a more off the beaten path visit, I'd maybe consider some of the less "popular" towns. Mid-Michigan has great dunes and is often quieter. Folks like to either stay south (quick drive from Chicago) or further north towards SLB. Towns like Muskegon, Ludington, Manistee, Montague are still wonderfully quiet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2