Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We really love the Weelicious chocolate chip granola bar recipe! It's really heavy on the oatmeal which is great. It does have plenty of sugar BUT I cut both the brown sugar and honey by about one-third and it's still really tasty and plenty sweet. It's a crunchy type granola bar and it keeps REALLY well...I will make a cookie sheet and it's good for 2 weeks stored in a container at room temp. I'm ok with this amount of sugar/chocolate chips because it's so dense on the oatmeal.

https://weelicious.com/chocolate-chip-granola-bars/

Will he eat oatmeal? Steel cut oats made in the instant pot are soooo good topped with just a spoonful of brown sugar, coconut milk, cinnamon, bananas, blueberries, and raisins or craisins. FWIW, I do not like rolled oats. But steel cut is such a different texture and not mushy!
    Last edited by twowhat?; 01-24-2021 at 09:47 PM.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Look at the company American Nut Butter, they have some amazing products, I work with two girls who are very health conscious, and they have tried all of the flavors, I've also tried them, they are so yummy, not cheap but so much better than regular PB (they also do almond butter). They are low carb, high protein, it's a small family owned business in Indiana.

MY DS is 15, growing like a weed, he is allergic to eggs and peanuts, he is a cereal kid. He likes a variety, some have more sugar than probably is best, but he lots of milk, often a bowl of yogurt (fresh fruit also causes a mild allergic reaction). He will do whole wheat toast with Nutella and jam too. OJ too, I don't stress about it. He's very active,.and healthy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ArizonaGirl is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have another homemade energy ball recipe that I like as well.

Screenshot_20200830-213151.jpg

After the vanilla it's 1tbsp via seeds.
    I have used jif and natural products and almond butter and they are delicious. I usually use agave syrup, but you could use honey or maple syrup.
    I also cut the chocolate chips to 1/4 cup.
    They store in the fridge forever... like really weeks.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I gave up fighting about breakfast last year ds4 eats coco pebbles occasionally if we are out frosted mini wheats. Ds3 will eat coco pebbles Frosted Flakes or pop tarts. They won’t eat egg anything ds 4 Will sometimes eat pancakes. It’s not worth them not eating anything and having them leave for school in a pissy mood. Mine will go hungry before eating eggs pancakes or oatmeal in any form If we are out of milk they will do cinnamon sugar toast ot jelly toast both are on the slim side and both carry high As in honor classes. Ds4 takes Nutella croissants for lunch nearly every day
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Sound tough. DS2 is very like your DS. As long the sugary cereals are there, you’ll always have a harder battle and pattern of your son eating the stuff you want for few days before giving up to return his fallback.

I used to be like your DH years ago, and when DS1 at 3 years ago, was getting too stuck into our sugary cereals. I made the decision to stop eating it and just stopped buying it. It was hard for us, but we made it! And now DS1 eats all kind of breakfast.

Back to ideas for DS2; he just never liked anything except the frozen waffle or Mickey Mouse pancakes with syrup. It wasn’t working when he started school cuz he was hungry already an hour into his school day!

So after many experiment; I switched to homemade pancakes, side of Turkey sausage and fruit as a side, burrito breakfasts, and Greek yogurt with honey and fruit mixed in it. That is pretty much his rotation. Oh he can eat French toast now as used to be allergic to eggs but can eat eggs now, which opened up more options.

Don’t get stuck on the breakfast food items. We don’t and often eat lunch or dinner leftovers as our breakfast next day. Like meatballs. Piece of salmon, pork with cranberry or gravy and toast. Call it a day. It’s how we survived DS2 persistence in his lack of breakfast options.

Good luck! This is hard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

These are similar to a thick crepe, have quite a bit of protein from the eggs/cottage cheese/milk, and can be topped with jam/fruit/Nutella/syrup https://www.melskitchencafe.com/roll...nder-pancakes/ my kids love them!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MommyAllison View Post
    These are similar to a thick crepe, have quite a bit of protein from the eggs/cottage cheese/milk, and can be topped with jam/fruit/Nutella/syrup https://www.melskitchencafe.com/roll...nder-pancakes/ my kids love them!
    Ooo, we love these in my house too! It also reminded me of another thing we all enjoy -- it is egg, but my kids like it even more b/c it's a "muffin": https://kalynskitchen.com/cottage-ch...g-breakfast-3/

When I make them for my kids I use turkey sausage instead of bacon and usually cheddar cheese instead of parmesean, and skip the green onions. They freeze fantastically.
    Lizi

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Lots of great ideas here. I am going to try the cottage cheese blender pancakes, and I bet they would love those American Nut Butters too.

I wouldn't care as much about the cereal if I felt he ate well at other meals. It's just that he skips other meals in order to wait for times when he has access to less healthy/more sugary foods. He also frequently complains about being distracted by being hungry in school and watching the clock until lunchtime. His lunch period isn't until after 1, and he usually wakes up between 5-5:30, so he really needs a fair amount of filling food to get through. Both kids are normal/thin but I still worry about them developing good healthy eating habits for the long term.

Both kids ate some of the baked oatmeal this morning..all the fruit sort of rose to the top so they mainly ate the fruit layer off and left the bottom. I also put whipped cream on it and they ate that. I don't know if they'll eat it a second morning. DH liked it though and finished their plates, so maybe I can get him off of cereal
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post

I wouldn't care as much about the cereal if I felt he ate well at other meals. It's just that he skips other meals in order to wait for times when he has access to less healthy/more sugary foods. He also frequently complains about being distracted by being hungry in school and watching the clock until lunchtime. His lunch period isn't until after 1, and he usually wakes up between 5-5:30, so he really needs a fair amount of filling food to get through. Both kids are normal/thin but I still worry about them developing good healthy eating habits for the long term.
    This would not solve the eating tons of sugary cereal problem, but is it possible to send a healthy snack he could eat between classes mid-morning to help with the being distracted because he is hungry part? I'm imagining that even a healthy breakfast with protein eaten around 6 a.m. would leave him hungry before 1:00? A string cheese or couple of crackers with peanut butter or some apple slices might help tide him over and would be easy to transport and eat.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I gave up on breakfast. There was a time that I made egg and cheese sandwiches each morning but they pretty much exist on Z-Bars, Cliff Bars and Larabars. We have never been a family that sits down for breakfast on a school day. We all liked sleeping more.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast