jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Possible data breach - what to do?

We were just informed of a possible data breach with one of our accounts. We’ve notified the credit card companies, the credit agencies, and our banks. Anyone else I’m forgetting? Also, while we’re at it I read an article about people applying for unemployment benefits using other people’s accounts. Is there a way to check that no one is filing for benefits in our name? TIA

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I dont know about the unemployment issue, but one thing I have done is to freeze my credit with each credit bureau. That means people cant open up new credit cards in your name. There is a downside because you have to call a number or fill out a form if you want to do so yourself, but it is supposed to provide a lot of safety. FWIW, I have had several account breaches and no known issues that came out of them. I do think it is important to take the steps you are taking and do what you can to prevent that though
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I got a notice on Saturday that for the 2nd time someone has applied for unemployment benefits under my name. I also had someone try to apply for a ppe loan under my name. I googled a link to report the fraud to the state.

After the first breach I froze all my credit accounts, as mentioned above.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Depending on what kind of account was breached, you may need to change passwords and/or security questions. For example, if your Facebook account was the breach, and you mention where you went to high school - what was your high school mascot is a common security question.

+1 to credit freezes giving some piece of mind if they are available in your state. We've had ours for a number of years through car purchases, refinances, home purchases and refinances and it's never been an issue to unfreeze when needed.

I don't know that having a credit freeze will eliminate the possibility of identify theft for stealing benefits, but this article suggests that you can set up an account for unemployment benefits in your state and by having the account monitor any activity even if you never file a form. I hadn't ever thought of this but it seems like a good idea and I'd be curious to hear if anyone has done this proactively: https://www.worldprivacyforum.org/20...ment-benefits/

Along the lines of changing passwords/security questions, enabling 2-factor authentication on any account that should be extra secure (banks, etc.) is a good idea.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12