Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default sweet easy breakfasts that aren't unhealthy?

DS has always been somewhat of a picky eater. I have been trying to wean back how much I cater to him and his tastes when I make dinner. If he chooses not to eat dinner, he gets a side and fruit for dessert. (ex last night I made pumpkin white bean chili with cornbread and salad. DS ate cornbread and had strawberries for dessert).

But now he's waking up hungry in the morning and eating larger breakfasts. Usually, they are all just sugar. He can eat 4 bowls of sugary cereal, or 3 slices of toast w Nutella. I can't get him interested in anything to do with eggs for breakfast, though he sometimes will eat them for dinner on a night he doesn't like the main dish.

I've tried Greek yogurt mixed with jelly and/or cereal. This is ok but he goes back to the sugar cereal after a day or two. I've tried Kodiak protein waffles, which are the same. I've tried replacing the Nutella with PB, but he only will eat Jif/Skippy kind, not the natural PB that doesn't have sugar. I've tried making blueberry muffins but he will usually eat one followed by 3 bowls of cereal. He doesn't like plain oatmeal with maple syrup, he only likes the instant packets which are also filled with sugar.

I can't quit buying cereal, much as I'd like to, because that's what DH eats for breakfast every single morning.

Thoughts? Help? Commiseration?
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Overnight oatmeal? You can keep tweaking til you land on a good recipe/ flavor combo.
    French toast with whole wheat bread? Sneaks in the eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hide the cereal from your DS so he can't access it. It sounds like its easily accessible to him, so it's an easy choice.

Will he eat french toast? That's an easy way to get eggs into him. Other non-cereal options could be breakfast burritos (we do soy chorizo or breakfast sausage, some shredded hash browns, eggs and cheese), breakfast sandwiches (we do variations of ham/turkey, egg, and sometimes onions and/or bell peppers, and sometimes cheese). Also my kids like having smoothies for breakfast sometimes -- frozen fruit, milk or almond milk, and my DS will add protein powder. Easy and filling.

Quaker Oats makes a low sugar version of their instant oatmeals. The Trader Joes version is also pretty good if you want a more natural version.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Overnight oatmeal? You can keep tweaking til you land on a good recipe/ flavor combo.
    French toast with whole wheat bread? Sneaks in the eggs.

Overnight oatmeal is a good idea! Also, maybe I should try one of those baked oatmeal recipes.

He doesn't like French toast
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My kids were not fans of plain oatmeal until I put small bowls of fixings on the table with the oatmeal. We use brown sugar, diced dates, craisins, honey, chocolate chips. They can add any or all to their bowls. I figure a spoon of fun stuff is still less sugar than most cereals and it’s warm and keeps them full longer. In your care, I would let your DS have crates but limit it to one bowl so he’s more likely to eat something more substantial to go with it.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ugh. Same boat. I would also like to banish cereal but that's all DH will eat for breakfast. And if the kids see him with it then that's what they want.
    How about german pancakes? They are full of eggs. My DS also likes the frozen breaded giant shrimp cooked up in the air fryer. Sometimes we just do that + fruit for breakfast.
    On the PB, if you want to switch to sugar free, I would do it slowly so they acquire the taste. When the regular PB is 3/4 full, fill it up with sugar free and mix good. Then when it gets 1/2 full do it again. Eventually it will get to be all sugar free. I also do this with cheerios-- I mix one box of Honey Nut with one box of plain in a big cereal container and they don't notice.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default sweet easy breakfasts that aren't unhealthy?

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Overnight oatmeal is a good idea! Also, maybe I should try one of those baked oatmeal recipes.

He doesn't like French toast
    I make steel cut oats in the instant pot. I make it on combination of milk and water, then add in vanilla and cinnamon. The container sits in the fridge. I put some frozen fruit on it before I warm a bowl in the microwave. I put yogurt on mine, DS doesn’t.

We’ve found that DS will go for easy options that aren’t great or he will not eat. He can make his own breakfast and lunch, but he wasn’t eating well or enough. The oatmeal is easy for me to reheat so he’ll at least have a decent breakfast. I make my breakfast at the same time. We’ve given him list of acceptable lunch options - he needs quick ideas as has a short lunch break.

my kids like the jimmy dean sandwiches-especially the pancake and sausage one (its sweet like the griddle cakes from McD)
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I highly recommend that your Dh hide his cereal somewhere where ds doesn’t see it. My Dh keeps his snacks in his car otherwise our kids eat them (and unfortunately so do i).

This isn’t an fast recipe but it’s easy and can be made with whatever you have available. We make it on a Sunday and it can keep refrigerated for a week making it a very convenient breakfast choice. It’s good cold or reheated. Also, I find that when my kids have helped make something they are more likely to eat it themselves. Have your son start helping make it. Let him play around with the ingredients. Each of my kids have invented a new flavor. We have made it dozens of times and different ways- put favorites have been chocolate coconut, apple pie rum raisin with Craisins, tropical pineapple mango. Frequently my kids eat it for dessert. Delish!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.epi...st-article/amp

It’s basically this:
    -1 part dry ingredients- rolled oats, granola, nuts, chocolate chips, seeds, coconut flakes, spices, etc
    -1 part fruit- any kind of fruit, fresh fruit, canned fruit, pie filling, chopped, frozen berries, etc.
    -1 part wet ingredients- any kind of milk, water, yogurt, juice, applesauce, keifer, etc.
    -1/4 part sweetener- maple syrup, honey, white or brown sugar, etc.
    -One or 2 eggs

Ive discovered that for a 9x13” pan 1part equals 4 cups (in other words 4cups wet ingredients, 4cups dry ingredients, 1cup sweetener, etc). It will fill up the pan to almost the top but it won’t overflow. For a 8x8” pan 1part equals 2 cups.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 01-24-2021 at 06:24 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We struggle over here too. I don't love a lot of baked oatmeal because it's pretty "mushy," but this one below is divine.

Screenshot_20200913-170639.jpg

I lower the sugar to 2/3 cup, but it's divine!
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast