Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    This would not solve the eating tons of sugary cereal problem, but is it possible to send a healthy snack he could eat between classes mid-morning to help with the being distracted because he is hungry part? I'm imagining that even a healthy breakfast with protein eaten around 6 a.m. would leave him hungry before 1:00? A string cheese or couple of crackers with peanut butter or some apple slices might help tide him over and would be easy to transport and eat.
    He does get a snack, I think around 11:30? Which is still quite a ways from 5:30...it must not be long because he often says he will run out of time to finish and he isn't usually a slow eater. Usually he'll take something like crackers and hummus, graham crackers with PB, pretzels and a granola bar, etc. Sometimes I put in a cookie and that always gets eaten! Some days he only wants to pack fruit though, and I worry that there just aren't that many calories in strawberries.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

I have a picky eater on ADHD meds, so he often doesn't eat much lunch. As a result, I make breakfast count. Most of the time he has 2 muffins - either banana chocolate chip made with Kodiak protein mix or pumpkin made with whole wheat flour and greek yogurt. I make a double batch and freeze them, and then they get microwaved in the mornings. When we have mushy bananas on hand and I have time, another favorite is banana pancakes made with Kodiak mix - one banana, one egg, 1/3 cup of mix, and then I sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
    Kodiak banana muffin recipe:
    https://kodiakcakes.com/blogs/recipe...-power-muffins
    I use greek yogurt in place of the milk

Pumpkin muffin recipe:
    1/4 cup butter -- softened
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1 2/3 cup pureed pumpkin (one small can for single recipe; one large or 2 small for double and it doesn't matter that those measurements aren't exactly the same)
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    3/4 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp cloves - heaping
    1 tsp cinnamon - heaping
    2 cups white whole wheat flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    Preheat over to 350 degrees.
    Cream butter and sugars. Add the yogurt and next 6 ingredients, beat well.
    Stir together flours, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Add to wet
    mixture and beat until combined.
    Pour batter into muffin tin sprayed with cooking spray. Bake until a
    toothpick tests clean - about 35 minutes.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's been some time, but my parents let my younger brother eat reduced-sugar frozen yogurt for breakfast, with whatever fruit, nuts or peanut butter he wanted to put on it. It was like a treat!

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    It's been some time, but my parents let my younger brother eat reduced-sugar frozen yogurt for breakfast, with whatever fruit, nuts or peanut butter he wanted to put on it. It was like a treat!
    Oh! This reminds me! I make ice cream for breakfast all the time! It's that crazy frozen banana ice cream that was a huge hit when the kids were little, mine still love it. I add peanut butter or other frozen fruits and blend away. To really up the protein, you can add protein powder or powdered peanut butter, then a splash of milk (I prefer oat milk but any milk will do) to help the consistency. I've added cocoa powder before too (but I don't eat chocolate so I don't know how it tasted). My kids still crack up at how cool it is to eat ice cream for breakfast.
    My kids also love chicken& waffles for breakfast. We use the frozen breaded chicken from Costco and kodiak waffles-quick and easy, fun of protein, and they can add as much syrup as they like.
    My DS2 has started eating leftovers or other savory things for breakfast. Like leftover bbq chicken sandwiches, or frozen chicken potstickers from the air fryer.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

For years I would top DC's "healthy" cereal with a layer of fun. For example a bowl of cheerios with a layer of Fruit loops on top. So they had some "sweet", but mostly "healthy" cereal.

DH is completely opposed to sweet cereals so DC felt like they were doing something "forbidden" !

However, this was the kid who would never sit to eat breakfast so I was using "bribes". I have also put sprinkles on "healthy" cereal to encourage them to eat it !

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    I have a picky eater on ADHD meds, so he often doesn't eat much lunch. As a result, I make breakfast count. Most of the time he has 2 muffins - either banana chocolate chip made with Kodiak protein mix or pumpkin made with whole wheat flour and greek yogurt. I make a double batch and freeze them, and then they get microwaved in the mornings. When we have mushy bananas on hand and I have time, another favorite is banana pancakes made with Kodiak mix - one banana, one egg, 1/3 cup of mix, and then I sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
    Kodiak banana muffin recipe:
    https://kodiakcakes.com/blogs/recipe...-power-muffins
    I use greek yogurt in place of the milk

Pumpkin muffin recipe:
    1/4 cup butter -- softened
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1 2/3 cup pureed pumpkin (one small can for single recipe; one large or 2 small for double and it doesn't matter that those measurements aren't exactly the same)
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    3/4 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp cloves - heaping
    1 tsp cinnamon - heaping
    2 cups white whole wheat flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    Preheat over to 350 degrees.
    Cream butter and sugars. Add the yogurt and next 6 ingredients, beat well.
    Stir together flours, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Add to wet
    mixture and beat until combined.
    Pour batter into muffin tin sprayed with cooking spray. Bake until a
    toothpick tests clean - about 35 minutes.
    I forgot about those. Senior year ds1 was all about the Kodiak muffins, flapjacks...just add milk or water, microwave and ready. He loved those things.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Why not just let him eat regular, non breakfast type foods, anything that he likes that has some protein and filling to hold him over till lunch, leftovers, a sandwich, honestly, don't stress about trying to make a traditional breakfast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Why not just let him eat regular, non breakfast type foods, anything that he likes that has some protein and filling to hold him over till lunch, leftovers, a sandwich, honestly, don't stress about trying to make a traditional breakfast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Because he doesn’t like any of those either
    He would maybe eat Kraft Mac and cheese or pasta w butter, but nothing else would tempt him.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post
    We struggle over here too. I don't love a lot of baked oatmeal because it's pretty "mushy," but this one below is divine.

Attachment 5199

I lower the sugar to 2/3 cup, but it's divine!
    Thanks for this recipe, ArizonaGirl. I just made it! Quick question- can I leave it out on the counter for a few days, or does it need to be kept in the fridge?
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm honestly not sure, I put mine in the fridge and throw the slice in the microwave for 30 seconds, it's delicious.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast