Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I'm just hoping they'll open back up. They're officially closed. They were open from October 1st to December 7th. Otherwise they've been closed since March!
    Really? Our parks here in LA are open, unless they're closed and no one cares? BUT ours our sooo crowded it's like pre-covid times or most likely worse! Like thousands of people at our large park! The playgrounds for the kids are packed and people are gathering in what seems like large extended families and friend groups having bbqs and picnics, with a large percentage not wearing masks! Before things got really bad in December I took DS2 to the park to meet 4 friends (masked). They were playing basketball when a group of older boys came over and wanted to play with them. There were 5 or 6 of them and none were wearing masks. I had to step in and say they couldn't play without masks. They were like "oh ok" and immediately went to their backpacks, got out their masks, and put them on! DH and DS2 go bike riding around our large park on Sundays and it's ridiculously crowded and all the parking lots and street parking are full.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by essnce629; 01-25-2021 at 01:44 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I'm sorry. That's ridiculous and sad. People don't get COVID from the park
    It’s the playgrounds that are closed as kids playing close together. The park itself you can go to.But they opened up the parks again Bisous, at least here they did. I would only go if not crowded. We went bike riding and a popular park was packed with large groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    I look forward to telling my kids yes when they ask for a playdate or sleepover. I can't wait to eat in a restaurant where someone else prepares my food and cleans up afterward. And travel - I miss having a fun trip to plan and look forward to. It will also be great to see my parents, other than outside
    A huge YES to all of this except my parents are already dead so my beloved aunts and uncles. I can’t wait to see them.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    It’s the playgrounds that are closed as kids playing close together. The park itself you can go to.But they opened up the parks again Bisous, at least here they did. I would only go if not crowded. We went bike riding and a popular park was packed with large groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    It's possible that I've never been to what counts as a crowded playground in southern California. But it's hard for me to imagine a playground I wouldn't be comfortable at at this point. I think the risk of outdoor transmission with universal masking is incredibly low. The playground would have to be so crowded that it had lines to climb the slide, and even then I think I'd be fine. I really don't care if other people are gathering in groups, as it doesn't affect my risk if I'm not in that group? (I do care, in a general "this is bad for society" type of way, but not in a "this is dangerous to me and I need to leave" way)
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'll have my second dose next week, DH will have his in 2 weeks, and my mom will have hers in 3 weeks. I look forward to restaurants, and movie theaters, and spectating at kids' sports, and window shopping at a store just for the heck of it. But, I won't feel comfortable doing any of that until most of the community is vaccinated. There's still so little data on whether the vaccine prevents infection or transmission that I just can't see doing "normal" until I'm not in the minority of vaccination status. And what if I'm the 5% it is not effective for? That'd suck!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Life after Vaccine

It's possible that I've never been to what counts as a crowded playground in southern California. But it's hard for me to imagine a playground I wouldn't be comfortable at at this point. I think the risk of outdoor transmission with universal masking is incredibly low. The playground would have to be so crowded that it had lines to climb the slide, and even then I think I'd be fine. I really don't care if other people are gathering in groups, as it doesn't affect my risk if I'm not in that group? (I do care, in a general "this is bad for society" type of way, but not in a "this is dangerous to me and I need to leave" way)
    There are 8 million or so people who live in Los Angeles County alone; that is almost a 1/3rd of the state’s population. It is very hard to imagine unless you have ever lived here. I moved two counties over and there are only 3 million people in our county (and my county stretches all the way east to Arizona) and even in Orange County (which was 3 miles from my old house) felt less dense in some places than LA County. LA County is also about 100 or so miles from the southern most point to the most northern point and about 65 miles wide from it’s most eastern point to western point; however the bulk of the population in the general LA Basin area (LA has 3 million people and is probably 40 miles long north (Van Nuys) to south (San Pedro) and 20 miles wide (East LA) east to west (Venice)).

I lived down the street from a park in my old city and other than people walking around it’s border as it was about .25 miles per side it was never crowded once covid hit, but all parks and play structures were closed and taped off for the last four months we lived there. The park near my house isn’t that busy and we sent the girls during Xmas break. The overall park is quite large and I am okay walking there and even playing sports there now.

Just saying that LA can’t really be compared to anything else other than maybe Manhattan which is more densely populated, but I am sure probably still has more parks/playgrounds per capita than LA.

Also people here use the parks for parties because houses are all on 5000 sq. ft. lots or condos/apartments have no yards and no play spaces are open so I think that could be part of the issue that some of the LA posters are afraid of; walking straight into a super spreader event when they want to take their kids to a park or just to exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-26-2021 at 02:15 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's possible that I've never been to what counts as a crowded playground in southern California. But it's hard for me to imagine a playground I wouldn't be comfortable at at this point. I think the risk of outdoor transmission with universal masking is incredibly low.
    The main problem is that a large majority are NOT wearing masks, even though it's mandated in all public spaces. If everyone wore masks I'd have less issues.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am on the list but not scheduled yet. It won’t change anything for me, I’ve always been scared to give the virus to someone vulnerable rather than nervous about catching it myself. The vaccine doesn’t change that. I’ve been going about a reasonable life with masks and distancing anyway. Maybe I will feel better about going out to eat. That’s not been ok for me yet. What will really make me feel better is when my parents are vaccinated and can get hugs from my boys.
    Last edited by smilequeen; 01-25-2021 at 04:31 PM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Hugging my mom and sister and having them in the house -- when we've all got shot #2.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Life is relatively normal here in Florida. School in person no one wears masks outside or on the street everything is open. League & school sports are all full capacity. Indoors its dependent on the business. No one wears them at the gym chain stores people wear them local businesses not so much.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast