Default (Professional) education on keeping kids safe with technology

Does such a thing exist?
    I'd like to do some sort of program that would qualify me as a consultant on what parents need to do to keep their kids safe/out of trouble. I have seen several parents asking for this service in local facebook groups, and it seems like the kind of thing I could do anywhere. I am not able to do my usual job (de-cluttering) right now as I am busy repeating 5th grade. My kid does not do online school independently - I have to sit there the entire time. We are unlikely to go back at all this year, and it is looking like next year may be hybrid.
    I have done some googling, and have found a couple of places that offer a service, but no place to learn how to do it. The default is to start doing a bunch of research on my own, but if there is some sort of package deal, I'd love a reference.
    TIA for any info you might have

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

At one time, our state police department had a seminar for parents of teen/tween to protect kids when they were online. That might be a place to look. The FTC also has some resources online.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don’t know of a training program, but this is an area of great need, now more than ever with all of the virtual schooling happening! If you aren’t familiar with Bark, I would start looking there at their product.
    K

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I love this idea. This is something that is one of my soapboxes. I was wondering if some kind of seminar or webinar exists that I could go through with my girls before they get their phones. Kind of like you go through driver’s Ed, I would love to have them learn a bit about social media and all the safety and psychological issues involved with it. How it can used for good, for bad, or just for wasting time. How digital footprints last forever and how you can’t trust anything online 100%, that kind of thing. If this doesn’t exist, it really, really should.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I love this idea. This is something that is one of my soapboxes. I was wondering if some kind of seminar or webinar exists that I could go through with my girls before they get their phones. Kind of like you go through driver’s Ed, I would love to have them learn a bit about social media and all the safety and psychological issues involved with it. How it can used for good, for bad, or just for wasting time. How digital footprints last forever and how you can’t trust anything online 100%, that kind of thing. If this doesn’t exist, it really, really should.
    GSUSA's Internet Safety Pledge is a good place to start when you're looking to develop your own contract; I have the girls in my troop sign it every year:
    https://www.girlscouts.org/en/help/h...ty-pledge.html

They worked with the Center for Missing & Exploited Children to develop it; that might be another good resource.

Their Cybersecurity badge series for all levels is another great resource - the ones at the Cadette (6th-8th grade), Senior (9th & 10th grade), and Ambassador (11th & 12th grade) levels are especially in-depth!
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 01-28-2021 at 01:38 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle