Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How to opt out of in-person public school assessments

My son attends a virtual school that is part of a public school system. I recently received a letter that stated:

“The State of ——- requires all students in grades 3-8 to take the ACAP Summative Assessment... We are working on finalizing the testing dates and locations so that you can make plans now to have your child(ren) at their designated location as required.”

Does anyone know how I would go about finding out the procedure for opting out of end-of-year standardized testing? I have looked on the website for our state department of education, but it is a mess.

If there wasn’t a pandemic, I would not mind but my children have been home since March 2020 and our household is following stricter stay-at-home procedures due to health issues. Thank you.

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Prior to Covid. We had many parents in my town, who oppose standardized testing. There is a big percentage who opt out every year. I would just write a letter stating that due to Covid and that your children are receiving fully remote instruction, they won’t be participating this year. If colleges can go test optional, I don’t see why you would get any push back.
    Last edited by gamma; 01-26-2021 at 06:50 AM.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m not sure, but I saw one local parent say she will unenroll her DD and homeschool her in advance of the required testing because she refuses to send her. Our governor is planning on requiring on-site testing for all public school students.
    K

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just heard on on radio station 1010WINS, that NY state has sent a request to the federal government to be exempt from standardized testing in grades 3-8 for this spring.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Where I live parents can just send a note to the principal that they wish to opt out. It’s really not a big deal to do so. In VA it’s not necessary until high school classes.

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I would send a letter requesting either to opt out or be provided a way to take the test virtually. Our schools have been 100% virtual since last March. Our district did virtual standardized testing in the fall and will again this winter. My youngest has taken virtual admissions testing for private schools. I would think virtual testing should be possible.

Our school is having the online kids do testing online (MAP for 3-7 and FAST for k-2). Those are usually taken on computers anyway. Not sure what they are planning for the end of the year test that involves written responses(ISASP).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think this will vary widely on where you live. Here in CA you can simply request to opt out of testing in normal circumstances. DS1 had a friend with anxiety that just requested to opt out of testing each year. So in our state, I would imagine it would be easy to opt out of testing. But one thing I've learned on these boards is that rules are very different in different places!

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Definitely call the principal at the school and let them know that you will not be sending your virtual child into the school building for testing. I cannot imagine that would be an option for many virtual families. You chose virtual for a reason, having to attend a standardized test in the building is crazy.

Start with the principal and work your way up to the superintendent. You didn't say what grade, but if it's not a high school graduation requirement, I think you will be fine.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by IansMom View Post
    My son attends a virtual school that is part of a public school system. I recently received a letter that stated:

“The State of ——- requires all students in grades 3-8 to take the ACAP Summative Assessment... We are working on finalizing the testing dates and locations so that you can make plans now to have your child(ren) at their designated location as required.”

Does anyone know how I would go about finding out the procedure for opting out of end-of-year standardized testing? I have looked on the website for our state department of education, but it is a mess.

If there wasn’t a pandemic, I would not mind but my children have been home since March 2020 and our household is following stricter stay-at-home procedures due to health issues. Thank you.
    I can't help you with how to opt out. It seems some states are insisting kids be tested. I was going to suggest that you insist he be allowed to test in an empty room without anyone else in it with the ability to have a window open for fresh air. That might require him testing during others' lunch hours or after school. If the state insisted my kid was tested on premises, those would be my conditions. Given the pandemic, I don't think they are unreasonable. But I hope you can find a way to opt out. What a mess.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast