Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    19,651

    Default comfortable, affordable teen office chairs?

    We're 100% remote and have been making do with the $15 or less second hand chairs when we first moved in 7-8 years ago. They're not cutting it. Can you help me figure out some other options? Subjects are 5'6" and 5'3" and both boys are having a growth spurt.

    We got DD (14) this one from Staples https://www.staples.com/union-scale-...oduct_24419911
    but I don't want the big plasticky backs glaring at me in the playroom. (from the best spot at the kitchen island, I can see the backs of the chairs.)

    We got MIL this one for Christmas, but we're not spending $200 on kid chairs (we really need 3 more for downstairs.) https://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic...product_324021

  2. #2
    jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,691

    Default

    I got https://www.target.com/p/tania-conte...e/-/A-79621235these for my older tweens and they have been great. Comfortable and I love that the wheels are all metal (weíve had chairs with the plastic wheels stop rolling after a while.) Looks like thereís only white and teal left.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

  3. #3
    LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post

    We got DD (14) this one from Staples https://www.staples.com/union-scale-...oduct_24419911
    but I don't want the big plasticky backs glaring at me in the playroom. (from the best spot at the kitchen island, I can see the backs of the chairs.)
    We just bought the same union & scale chair for DS1 - he's had the same desk/chair since kindergarten (now a senior) and never actually sat in the chair much until March. It was about to break (nice looking chair from West Elm) and wasn't comfortable at all. We needed something comfortable of course but had to fit a tight spot. I bought the one w/o arms. I actually want to buy another (w/o arms) to fit at our built in kitchen desk. We did see a decent selection of chairs at both Home Sense and At Home, if you're shopping!

    I'd also suggest a used office furniture store. I know when I reached out to several places in the spring they said they were over capacity and stopped buying out office inventories!

  4. #4
    Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    I bought this one at Costco a couple of months ago. It was $99.99 in store. It’s the chair they use in the offices in the Costco warehouse I was at. I was going to buy a chair at staples but figured with the great Costco return policy I would be better off buying it there in case I didn’t like it. So far so good!

    https://www.costco.com/true-innovati...100654823.html
    Mom to b/g twin high school seniors!

    People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

    Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

  5. #5
    Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twin Mom View Post
    I bought this one at Costco a couple of months ago. It was $99.99 in store. Itís the chair they use in the offices in the Costco warehouse I was at. I was going to buy a chair at staples but figured with the great Costco return policy I would be better off buying it there in case I didnít like it. So far so good!

    https://www.costco.com/true-innovati...100654823.html
    DH has this chair and really likes it.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

  6. #6
    essnce629's Avatar
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    10,369

    Default

    I bought DH the Tempur-Pedic one from Staples (similar to the one you bought but with additional lumbar support) way back in April and just bought 2 more for my kids. They're still 100% virtual and will continue to be so for the rest of the school year most likely so I figured I'd just invest in good chairs that will last till they leave for college. DH and DS1 spend like 12 hours a day at their desks so they may as well be comfortable.

    Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

  7. #7
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    19,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I bought DH the Tempur-Pedic one from Staples (similar to the one you bought but with additional lumbar support) way back in April and just bought 2 more for my kids. They're still 100% virtual and will continue to be so for the rest of the school year most likely so I figured I'd just invest in good chairs that will last till they leave for college. DH and DS1 spend like 12 hours a day at their desks so they may as well be comfortable.

    Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Was that the Tempurpedic 6400? DH got that one in March and loves it. DD felt like it was "trying too much to be good" and she said she would be tempted to be in it too long, lol.

  8. #8
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    19,651

    Default

    Just wondering if there are any more suggestions out there... I see a Staples $20/100 and $40 off 200 coupon on Slickdeals and am wondering if I should get 3 more "essentials" chairs for $189 or one good tempurpedic for $189. I have sat in the Costco one and it seemed comfy too, but I can't do a side by side comparison without buying/returning something.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Just wondering if there are any more suggestions out there... I see a Staples $20/100 and $40 off 200 coupon on Slickdeals and am wondering if I should get 3 more "essentials" chairs for $189 or one good tempurpedic for $189. I have sat in the Costco one and it seemed comfy too, but I can't do a side by side comparison without buying/returning something.
    My DDs (ages 10 and 12) have this chair from IKEA- no complaints. They’ve been using them for several years, but are sitting in them almost all day now with virtual school.

    I would check IKEA- they have lots of office chair options- some expensive, and some not expensive at all. And they all have reviews.

    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/oerfjae...ray-s79303042/
    Last edited by mm123; 01-27-2021 at 08:42 AM.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

  10. #10
    JBaxter's Avatar
    JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    15,779

    Default

    We just got one from Ikea also I think it was $49? I'll look up which one we have my 17 yr old 6ft1 kiddo has no complaints
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

    Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •