Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default Covid and summer travel plans

The title says it all....are people making plans or staying home this summer?

We are trying to decide whether or not traveling this summer will be a possibility based on covid and the new emerging variants. DH and I will not be eligible for the vaccine for sometime yet, I am assuming. Neither of us are in healthcare jobs or first responders. Our current state vaccine guidelines are for ages 70 and older.

We are contemplating renting a house within a few hours of driving distance of our home. Hiking/out door type activities with our immediate household family only.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We rented a beach house with family. In laws will have been vaccinated. Dh's sister had Covid (and we think her whole family did). So my crew is actually the one that would be of concern. Dh is higher priority on the vaccine list so he might be good too. The house is oceanfront at a very quiet beach. We will be at the house, on the beach, hike and ride bikes. Grocery pick up. Really the same as in a non-Covid year.
    2 family members have died in the last 6 weeks and the memorial services are being planned for the summer. Both would be about 5 hours away and I think we will at least attend anything that is held outdoors, depending on the state of things.

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Because he’s immunocompromised, we are hoping DH will get the vaccination soon. Then he and my oldest 2 boys can start making some college visits. They are also scheduled to go to Philmont, New Mexico with their Boy Scout Troup in July. Unfortunately that is all the traveling our family has planned for the summer.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We currently have a house booked on Lake Michigan. Our plan at the moment is to stick to things that we can do away from people: hiking, bike riding, exploring lesser known beaches. We have a fishing charter booked for one morning. It's outside and the captain will be vaccinated by then, so I don't have to worry about us giving it to him. We'll wear masks. My parents may come with us, as my dad would really like to go on the charter but only if they have their shots (they should, but who knows) and if the other variants aren't a problem. It's a wait and see game for them. They won't stay with us, and if we eat together it'll be outside. Now if the other variants are out of hand, we'll cancel. I doubt we'd be vaccinated by then but it is mid August so maybe there's a minute chance.

We have a beach house with my parents booked at the end of May. Normally we'd fly. We'll still go (it's not a crowded place and we will eat in and get takeout as opposed to restaurants), but we'll likely drive instead even though it's a 2 day drive. We're hoping to do other outdoors types of things over the summer, but aren't reserving anything just yet. I'm sure I won't be comfortable flying or traveling internationally yet at that point.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Same rental as last 9 summers for this August down the shore. Hopefully I’ll have the vaccine, but I’m pretty at the bottom as a healthy young person with no underlying issues. If not, will do the same as last August. Mask up, social distance at the beach and do take outs. Was hoping to do a trip to Ireland to visit my parents, but that was postponed from last summer and just not sure. My father already got his vaccine in Florida but his wife is like me, under 65, healthy so it’ll be a while for her. My 77 year old mom got lots of underlying issues, so can’t stay at her house unless she has the vaccine and we quarantine upon arrival at a hotel before staying at her house. I’m thinking not safe this summer again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DH and I have both been vaccinated (1 dose, waiting for second) but aren't changing our behaviors other than maybe volunteering to help with some vaccination clinics.

We live in Michigan and have already booked two weeks in an area of the UP that we haven't explored before - our household only. We have one week at a cabin on Lake Superior with a kayak, five days backpacking Isle Royale, and a few nights to explore the Porkies (although who knows how much hiking we'll be up to after Isle Royale). Our goal was to pick very COVID-safe options that allow us to distance. We cancelled last summer's big trip to the UK and are avoiding planning anything that would have to be cancelled until we're post-COVID (or, as post-COVID as is ultimately possible).

Depending on how things pan out, we may spend some time with MIL / FIL at their Lake Michigan cottage. All of the adults would be vaccinated, but not the kids. We'll have to see how things are by then.

Otherwise, we have a couple of camping trips planned with families who we have "podded" with - but for us that means outdoors and distanced only.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We’ve rented a house for a week a few states away for the four of us. I’m not booking anything with extended family.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Just to my parent's lake house up north. I'm hoping by summer they will be vaccinated. I assume neither DH nor I will be by then. So I'm not sure if we'll go with my parents or just the 5 of us. We always bring our own food, and just hang out at the beach, so pretty much no contact, unless we need gas or want a pizza.

ETA: Hoping to do a college visit or two as well. No many are in person now, but maybe by summer. And I'm considering camps for the kids. Not sure on that though.
    Kris

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It is driving me insane to not know what or how to plan! DH is high risk and according to our county he should get 1st vaccine by end of Feb. But that was before they changed 70+ to 65+ so I’m guessing later now but should still be okay by August which is when we would travel. I was hoping to rebook our Costa Rica trip from last summer but don’t know about leaving the country. With having to test before coming back I’m concerned that kids or I could get a positive test and then be stuck and probably not worth it since they will have school starting. Nothing has been planned but I think we will do a road trip of some sort. I’m also trying to figure out what to do for spring break in March. Would just be kids and I as DH won’t travel w/o vaccine. We will likely do road trip and condo rental with meals in, etc. Basically just a change of scenery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast