Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Anyone going this year?

We all had COVID in December. My daughter was supposed to go to WDW with her orchestra but that was canceled. She really wants to go this year for her senior trip. We have been every 3 years since she was 2. Should we go?

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't think anyone can specifically answer that question for you, unfortunately! Everyone's comfort levels are in such different places.

I know that personally, I will not be comfortable flying or going to large-crowd places like WDW until my family is vaccinated or the disease burden is WAY lower. I'm also very uncomfortable with the idea of spending money on trips that can't be easily refunded/changed right now. (I don't actually know how Disney works, so not sure if this is possible there or not). I also know that in the past few months relatives of mine went there, including a flight w/ layovers, with an infant -- and they were perfectly happy and comfortable the whole time. So there's just a huge range in comfort levels and approach and it'll likely just have to be a personal decision.
    Lizi

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Leaving the "personal comfort level with travel" part out - I'd do a bit of research. Things are really different- no FastPasses, no early access, no live entertaiment (or minimal), no fireworks etc. The list is long.

In addition, masks are required, and can only be removed in a 'rest area' (called something else). This means no walking around and drinking water to cool off, for example.

DD and I happened to be driving to Florida the week before WDW opened, but a couple weeks after Disney Springs did. No one was there (like we parked one aisle from the escalator on a low floor, two spots in, a couple hours after opening). It was while you theoretically COULD still drink and walk around, but even that was hard. We went to a couple favorite stores, grabbed a sandwich for lunch....and left. It was just not fun (for us), and even with the really low crowds we were starting to get uncomfortable with the lack of distancing. The rule was I got the only vote if we tried going - but DD totally agreed with the decision to leave.

It was fine as we only invested an extra 90 minutes or so of driving, and it will be a story to tell. I would not have been happy spending "Disney type money" on that experience however.

Others may have totally different experiences - good luck with your decision.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have not been but I think it depends on what you enjoy doing there. If you want character meets and parades then it isn’t worth it because those are not happening right now. I personally wouldn’t go for a variety of reasons and I also could not justify spending the money for a partial experience. But if your DD has her heart set on it and would be happy with the limitations then it may be worth it to you.

Those are some great things to think about. My dd loves Splash Mountain and literally cried when she heard they were re theming it. She really wants to ride it before it gets changed. Although she is happy that Tiana is finally getting a ride. We are a Disney family and we were supposed to go last year but of course canceled. I think we are just so ready to do something special. My DH grew up in Florida and misses it. First world problems I know. It feels so indulgent to even consider going.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracemom View Post
    Those are some great things to think about. My dd loves Splash Mountain and literally cried when she heard they were re theming it. She really wants to ride it before it gets changed. Although she is happy that Tiana is finally getting a ride. We are a Disney family and we were supposed to go last year but of course canceled. I think we are just so ready to do something special. My DH grew up in Florida and misses it. First world problems I know. It feels so indulgent to even consider going.
    If you’re ok with half experiences and all the rules to observe, etc knowing you’re not getting the full experience, you can go. But I personally wouldn’t enjoy. Also know my kids wouldn’t. The meet and greet, fireworks, and so much more was their highlights of our Disney trip.

It’s why we postponed our Turks and Caico trip last year to later this year. And even then, it’s very questionable whether we’ll go. The biggest thing is for us is getting tested and submit negative test both ends of the trip. But if you test positive outboard to home, you’ve to remain on the island and self isolate for 14 days. So that means we couldn’t even enjoy the pools, resort, meals, activities if anyone of us is positive. Too much of a risk for us on a less than half of full experience trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We had our "every three year" trip scheduled for last June. *sigh* We moved that reservation to this June, but I haven't decided how I feel about going now. I'm kind of waiting to see where we are in the vaccination line by that point.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Younger DS and I were supposed to go last April. We rescheduled to this April and are going to change it to this fall. We’ve gone many times and he just wants rides and the Beach Club pool which is doable. He’ll be in 10th grade and I’m comfortable with him missing a couple days so we could have 5 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

Thanks for all the feedback. We are making a list of all the things that will be different this year and will have a family meeting to make a decision. My dd is starting college in the fall and I need to remember she’s not going to be gone forever. We will still have more family vacations. 😄

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Gracemom View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. We are making a list of all the things that will be different this year and will have a family meeting to make a decision. My dd is starting college in the fall and I need to remember she’s not going to be gone forever. We will still have more family vacations. 
    I think family vacations will continue for a long time. We rent a beach house with dh's family every other year. I think that as long as we are paying, ds1 will find a way to come. Just needs to block it out with work ahead of time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast