ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default neighbors who don't shovel their sidewalks - but do clear their driveway

I am so annoyed. Our otherwise lovely neighbors routinely don't bother to shovel their sidewalk. They are at the top of our cul-de-sac and DS2 needs to walk by their house to get to school. Because they are on the corner, it is a long stretch of sidewalk. Their driveway has been clear since yesterday morning.

Every time I leave the house and see that they still aren't making any attempt I get angry again. Kids need to walk to school. People need to walk in general. I need to walk a crazy dog who gets out of control every time he sees a delivery truck or a bicycle. Last time it snowed, the dog pulled me and I lost traction on (someone else's) snowy and icy sidewalk and nearly had an accident. Since then, I have been walking in the street around any snowy sidewalks, but that isn't terribly safe when it is dark or there is a lot of cars.

Our town does have a requirement to clear sidewalks within 12 daylight hours of storm ending, but does not seem to enforce.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Do you get snow often or rarely? Is it a regular issue or just once in a blue moon? we had an elderly neighbor who did the same and we just did his for him (we had a snowblower). Are they able bodied? Can they afford to hire someone? Depending on these answers and my relationship I might offer to help them, do it for them, suggest someone who can do it for them for money, let them know that you are concerned about your daughter and her safe passage to school and can they please shovel their walk way.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We just moved into a neighborhood with no rule on clearing your snow. The first time it snowed I discovered I was one of the only people that shoveled. I was so surprised! Dh said that if you don't attempt to shovel then you are making no guarantees to walkers that your sidewalk is safe to travers. If you do clear it and miss some spots and they slip then you are more likely to get sued than if you didn't shovel at all?? I have no idea if his logic holds in any way. But, it feels wrong not to shovel. I need to go put some salt down now.

Not sure how much sidewalk you are talking about, but I used to shovel the sidewalk for my neighbors in a similar situation. We were the third house "in" on the culdesac and the two houses between us and the main street never shoveled the sidewalk. It was the path to the mailbox and my kids were walking it to meet up with carpool, so I just started shoveling.

It is really annoying. One of these neighbors never shoveled.

Since then we've moved and have a lot of sidewalk with our corner lot. But we have such a walking neighborhood I'd feel bad not doing the walk, but we are certainly the minority.

They appear able bodied - they were out shoveling their driveway. They have kids who are big enough to help. Almost everyone else in town has cleared their sidewalks by now.

We don't get much snow, but have had two good sized snowfalls this year. The first one took a week to melt and clear their sidewalk.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our town tickets. I would be tempted to call to report them. One ticket would take care of the problem.

Our town supposedly enforce and tickets that kind of thing. I’ve lived in my neighborhood for 13 years now and always have had our hire to shovel the sidewalks. Especially more so since we live on a corner lot where it’s also the school bus stop for several houses who need to use that stop.

This snowstorm is our first time where we *just* had our sidewalks shoveled this evening. Normally I would do it or dh in a pinch, so kids could get to the bus stop safety. But I broke my foot, so no chance of it and DH is heart risk, read somewhere how it’s common in men to have heart attacks while shoveling snow from age 50 to 70. Something like that. Our school district were virtual all week due to the snow storm, so this is why our hire didn’t get to us till today.

Your situation sound annoying and unsafe. Call your townhall to see what kind of ordinances. My town enforces more if homes are near fire hydrant or/and school bus stops, which applies to my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Call & report. If the town doesn’t usually enforce then they will likely just give them a warning and a chance to get it cleared.

If someone falls on their sidewalk it’s a liability for them and also the town if they didn’t enforce their rules.

Places I’ve lived usually specify at least a 24” path must be cleared within a certain number of hours after snow stops.

Update - I called this afternoon. I reported 3 locations affecting my kids' walks to their schools. It is already done now, dh thinks he saw the public works crew shoveling. I feel like a terrible person for reporting the neighbors but am relieved it is finally done.