I would love to do something for the grocery workers. I really do feel like they've been heroes in all of this. I still cry when I think about how afraid I was to go to the store in the early months and there they WERE. Every day, showing up and working so we could eat.

And the abuse they've had to take! My sister works at a grocery store in Vancouver (so not some backwoods red state) and has had near violent clashes with people who refuse to wear a mask. It is scary and stressful for her. I can't image how it must be in some areas or for grocery workers with poor health!

I don't think I'm a fan of this kind of legislation though. I don't know what kind of profit margins grocery stores are making or if they could "afford" this but I think what will happen is that some employees will be better paid (yay!), many will be laid off, and stores in poorer areas will cease operating altogether. Maybe we'd be better served by NOT sending my family that makes 100K and is fully employed more checks and instead sending that to the grocery workers? (Or is this potentially another case of not being enough money to make an appreciable difference?)