LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Best/Easiest Parental Controls for a Mac?

I've been playing around w/ the parental controls on the iMac that DS2 uses for school. It's a complete PITA and he ends up "late" to zooms, assignments because EVERY single IP address that isn't already approved, requires the admin login and PW to add it to the approved list.

I really only need to block YouTube. He's viewing Youtube constantly during virtual learning.

I've looked at Disney Circle; apparently it's part of our router but when I last set it up, I killed alot of other stuff that was a worse hassle to "un do"

Any great software that might be recommended?

Thanks!

Can you setup screen time?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210387

As for blocking YouTube I use to do that and occasionally a teacher would actually use a video in their lesson. I found it best to limit YouTube to one minute. Then if they need more time then can send me a request to approve. Easier to approve a request they have to unblock and then block again later.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I just bought Cisdem App Crypt after google searching “how to block YouTube on a Mac”. I paid $30 for a license for one computer; they have other pricing options as well. It works quite well. I still wish there was a way to block Google.com when using Google classroom, but otherwise it works well and it is easy to use. I do have to unblock YouTube for DD2 to watch some learning videos for tutoring, but she is no longer spending all day streaming at the same time she is supposed to be I class. You can check your child’s history in their Google account and it will bring things up that aren’t in your web browser history. My DD1 showed me how to do it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ate...-on-mac/%3Famp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lisa928 View Post
    Can you setup screen time?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210387

As for blocking YouTube I use to do that and occasionally a teacher would actually use a video in their lesson. I found it best to limit YouTube to one minute. Then if they need more time then can send me a request to approve. Easier to approve a request they have to unblock and then block again later.
    Here's what I ended up doing and today is Day 1 so we'll see. I ended up creating a new user on DH's laptop and putting screen time on that user, blocking YouTube. I tested everything last night, added all the bookmarks for school, all the google docs etc. Everything was great. Went to sign into Zoom this AM and zoom won't work! It's allowed and checked off but gives an error. So I grabbed my iPad solely for zoom and he's using the laptop for the rest. We'll see how this goes but why does this need to be SO difficult? I will chat w/ Apple again this afternoon/tonight about zoom because if I can get that to work properly then I think this is the best way to go. I just couldn't do it on the iMac he was using or my MacBook Air that he uses too. I don't want to upgrade my MacBook Air yet because of my beloved Quicken version!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I know this the one downside of the Mac. I love it for everything else, but for parental controls it is not very intuitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)