Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    I talked to DH and I still don't understand what happened. I think DH's meeting ran over and he lost track of time. But DH seemed upset with DS2 (7 years old) that he did not interrupt his call and tell him it was time to leave. And DS2 was really upset and worried about interrupting his father.

It sounds like DS2 went to the corner with the crosswalk and looked for cars before crossing the street, which makes me happy. (If he did not, at least he knows that this was the right answer for where/how did you cross the street).

In a normal year we would very likely be letting DS2 walk to/from school by himself. This year the kids have so much to carry with their laptops and class materials - they are bringing everything back and forth just in case school goes remote due to a positive covid case or winter weather. If I take him, while walking the dog, I will help him with his stuff and get him across the street safely then let him go the last bit on his own. DH can do drop off without a mask because it doesn't require hanging out on school property. (I generally don't wear a mask for drop off either, there isn't really any need to). For pick up, we need to wait around for his teacher to release the kids and bring them to the exit door so masks are required.
    Sounds like it was a one-off situation and you all just need to make a plan. DH needs to remember to look at the clock and DS2 needs permission to interrupt his dad at work if he needs to (your DH needs to stress this with him so he is not scared to interrupt). with all the chaos of these times, it is so easy for things to faulter on occasion...

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Alarm clock. Seriously. I keep an alarm clock in DH's office programmed to go off 15 minutes before DS's school lunchtime; so he knows he has to go make him lunch. Otherwise, he forgets every time! And DS's window for lunch is small. Maybe you need to put an alarm a few minutes before it's time to leave?

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Alarm clock. Seriously. I keep an alarm clock in DH's office programmed to go off 15 minutes before DS's school lunchtime; so he knows he has to go make him lunch. Otherwise, he forgets every time! And DS's window for lunch is small. Maybe you need to put an alarm a few minutes before it's time to leave?
    I woud agree with this with one exception: ask your husband to set an alarm for 5 minutes before they need to be out the door so something like this doesn't happen again. He's an adult and can handle setting an alarm on his phone.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2