MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default 2nd Pfizer vaccine after 28 days?

My mom was able to get an appt this morning for her first covid shot at Walgreens. I assumed since I scheduled her second shot with the first that it was Moderna because it was 4 weeks apart. She sent me a text from the store and said she was getting the Pfizer one (Thank goodness because that was the one she wanted so badly!) and that they told her because of scheduling they had to do it 4 weeks apart and that it was ok to get between 3-6 weeks. I did a tiny bit of research and did see that you can get them between 3-6 weeks, but should I see if I can move it up to three weeks if an appointment becomes available? Or just let her get it at 28 days instead. I don't know if it's how they ordered them or if it's just easier to schedule that way because they don't know what brand is coming. I just don't want to mess her current appointment up by trying to change it and lose her chance at the second shot, but I also don't want it to mess with efficacy if we need to find it for 21 days instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    My mom was able to get an appt this morning for her first covid shot at Walgreens. I assumed since I scheduled her second shot with the first that it was Moderna because it was 4 weeks apart. She sent me a text from the store and said she was getting the Pfizer one (Thank goodness because that was the one she wanted so badly!) and that they told her because of scheduling they had to do it 4 weeks apart and that it was ok to get between 3-6 weeks. I did a tiny bit of research and did see that you can get them between 3-6 weeks, but should I see if I can move it up to three weeks if an appointment becomes available? Or just let her get it at 28 days instead. I don't know if it's how they ordered them or if it's just easier to schedule that way because they don't know what brand is coming. I just don't want to mess her current appointment up by trying to change it and lose her chance at the second shot, but I also don't want it to mess with efficacy if we need to find it for 21 days instead.
    My hospital let me/had me get it day 18. I suspect a few days over would be fine. My brother is in healthcare but works nights and overslept his appointment for his second shot and ended up getting it a week late by the time he could get a rescheduled appointment.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The timing is based on their studies. They KNOW the booster works at at 21 days, because they used those intervals in the trials. That does not mean it wouldn't work if you went a bit earlier or a bit later. They just didn't PROVE it because they didn't test it. We are asked to try to stick to the proven time schedule, to be on the safe side.

There is no benefit to getting the shot on the earlier end of the interval or the later end of the interval, in terms of efficacy. Earlier, however, means she will be ahead a week in terms of approaching her full possible immunity. So my preference is always earlier.
    #BidenHarris2020 “It’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids character matters. It matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.”

Where I am the clinics are scheduling the 2nd dose at 4 weeks for both Moderna and Pfizer. I think it just makes it easier for scheduling.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The UK is giving it 11-12 weeks later. I don’t agree with that, but I don’t think 28 days is a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Don't quote me (it is hard to cite a 2 hour podcast!) but the TWIV team was talking about how the response to the second shot might be improved if it is given further apart. With an emphasis on MIGHT be based on immune theory, though they are not fans of the UK strategy. There is a trade off in that they acknowledge that any additional time between doses increases the time that that individual is fully protected and is therefore more vulnerable to catching the disease! I think 4 weeks sounds like it should be ok.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Don't quote me (it is hard to cite a 2 hour podcast!) but the TWIV team was talking about how the response to the second shot might be improved if it is given further apart.
    Yes, I heard that too and was going to post the same. It was in one of the 2 latest episodes I think.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

It is true that the recommended timing for the second jab reflects the timing the companies used in the clinical trials. That said, there is no evidence that you should strive for an appt EARLIER than the recommended/tested interval (3 weeks Pfizer, 4 weeks Moderna). Any time AT OR AFTER these time points is good. I do not believe any administration site will even let you schedule a second appt before these time points.

We know from other 2 jab regimens (like shingles) that administering the second dose too early decreases overall immune response.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Definitely don't go too early. If you're able to easily get an appointment time for the second Pfizer dose at 21 days or after, then go for it. But 28 days for the 2nd dose is totally no big deal and totally fine too.

The stuff circulating around on how giving the second shot even later might be better is based on PRELIMINARY data from a TOTALLY DIFFERENT covid vaccine using a TOTALLY DIFFERENT platform. So, stick to the 21-day recommendation (28 for Moderna) for the mRNA vaccines as much as you're able, but being late on the second dose is not a detriment. I would not purposefully delay the second dose of either of the mRNA vaccines.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 02-10-2021 at 11:49 AM.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Definitely don't go too early. If you're able to easily get an appointment time for the second Pfizer dose at 21 days or after, then go for it. But 28 days for the 2nd dose is totally no big deal and totally fine too.

The stuff circulating around on how giving the second shot even later might be better is based on PRELIMINARY data from a TOTALLY DIFFERENT covid vaccine using a TOTALLY DIFFERENT platform. So, stick to the 21-day recommendation (28 for Moderna) for the mRNA vaccines as much as you're able, but being late on the second dose is not a detriment. I would not purposefully delay the second dose of either of the mRNA vaccines.
    We aren't wanting to get her an appointment before 21 days. We just wanted to make sure it wasn't bad if she waited until 28 days like they scheduled her. If she happens to get a call from someone with a Pfizer vaccine after day 21 but before her appt she'll get that, otherwise she'll just wait.