JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default ISO - Ideas for dairy free/no frosting cake for dd's 18th birthday!

Dd will be turning 18 very soon! She has a dairy allergy and, for whatever reason, frosting/icing (even dairy free) tends not to agree with her and she does not like it. She likes vanilla cake and isn't really a chocolate/brownie cake person. She loves fruit. I called our local amazing bakery that is known for doing amazing vegan cakes and was underwhelmed with the options they gave me (just fruit compote in between the layers of a dairy free cake and then again on the top). I mean, that would be fine, but really not worth the $$$ and I think I better just make one myself.

I googled and the best things I am getting seem to be upside down cakes. I have a few of those picked out, but if anyone has a really good one or an alternative idea, please post! I was also wondering about an apple cake (that is tricky as I think she would love how it tastes if its a good recipe, but wouldnt think she would like it, if that makes any sense). Thank you!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My family loves my apple spice cake, from the Joy of Cooking cookbook. I think adding nuts to it is necessary- makes the texture more interesting and just adds hat extra something. It does call for buttermilk but I assume you can find a work around to that. https://bysinginglight.wordpress.com...le-spice-cake/

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't eat chocolate at all (allergic to caffeine) so I have lots of non-chocolate recipes We aren't big on cake in my house, so for birthdays we do pies, rice krispie treats, donuts, cookies, cheesecakes, flan, etc. Here are some recipes I have made that are super yummy and are fruity... Maybe you could decorate with fruit or powdered sugar on top, or sprinkles, or flowers, or just candles. LMK if you'd like a recipe:
    Oatmeal pumpkin spice loaf (no butter or milk)
    Cranberry orange loaf (has butter, but maybe could be subbed)
    Pumpkin chiffon cake (no butter or milk)
    Strawberry summer sheet cake ( can sub non-dairy milk)
    Upside down mango cake (calls for almond milk)
    Zucchini bread (no butter or milk)
    Banana bread (this recipe is much more like a cake than a bread, needs butter but maybe there is a substitute)

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Thanks so much for the ideas; they're great!

Punkyboo, I am going to pick dd's brain a little and come back and make a request for specific recipes, but I am pretty sure we will be wanting the Strawberry summer sheet cake, upsde down mango cake, and pumpkin chiffon (she wont be into that last one, but I will. Love pumpkin so much)!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You could do a powdered sugar glaze... using vanilla, fresh lemon juice, fresh lime juice etc. as a glaze instead of a frosting.

We love this easy lemon cake. For extra lemon flavor, zest the lemon and add it to the batter.

Lemon Cake

Mix: ¾ Cup hot water with 1 large package lemon jello, set aside

In a separate bowl - beat 4 eggs and ¾ Cup vegetable oil until well beaten,

then add:

1 package Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme cake mix,
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    jello mixture and beat for 2 minutes.

Pour into greased and floured bundt pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes…do not over bake, as cake should be moist.

Topping:
    Mix powdered sugar (about 1- 1 1/2 cups) and lemon juice (a couple TBs at a time maybe about 6-8) and pour over hot cake which has been pricked with a fork or toothpick

Thanks so much. So many yummy cakes. Dd keeps changing her mind about what she wants. I normally wouldn't indulge her so much, but it is her 18th birthday and there's no real party or anything due to the pandemic. Punkyboo I would love the recipes for your summer strawberry sheet cake and the pumpkin chiffon. Whether or not I make them for dd's birthday, I will definitely make them some time soon!

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thanks so much. So many yummy cakes. Dd keeps changing her mind about what she wants. I normally wouldn't indulge her so much, but it is her 18th birthday and there's no real party or anything due to the pandemic. Punkyboo I would love the recipes for your summer strawberry sheet cake and the pumpkin chiffon. Whether or not I make them for dd's birthday, I will definitely make them some time soon!
    No problem! The strawberry one is a favorite! And I made the pumpkin chiffon for DS2's birthday one year.
    https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/06/s...er-sheet-cake/
    https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe...n-chiffon-cake
    Hope she enjoys her birthday, whatever you decide to make!

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    I don't eat chocolate at all (allergic to caffeine) so I have lots of non-chocolate recipes We aren't big on cake in my house, so for birthdays we do pies, rice krispie treats, donuts, cookies, cheesecakes, flan, etc. Here are some recipes I have made that are super yummy and are fruity... Maybe you could decorate with fruit or powdered sugar on top, or sprinkles, or flowers, or just candles. LMK if you'd like a recipe:
    Oatmeal pumpkin spice loaf (no butter or milk)
    Cranberry orange loaf (has butter, but maybe could be subbed)
    Pumpkin chiffon cake (no butter or milk)
    Strawberry summer sheet cake ( can sub non-dairy milk)
    Upside down mango cake (calls for almond milk)
    Zucchini bread (no butter or milk)
    Banana bread (this recipe is much more like a cake than a bread, needs butter but maybe there is a substitute)

Would you please post the cranberry orange recipe, the mango cake recipe and the zucchini bread recipes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Would you please post the cranberry orange recipe, the mango cake recipe and the zucchini bread recipes as well.
    Sure!
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...kbread-2009409

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-bread

ETA forgot the mango cake! https://www.washingtonpost.com/recip...ngo-cake/16692
    We had a similar mango cake in Kauai and loved it so I was on a quest to find a recipe. This was REALLY yummy and very close to the one in Kauai!
    Last edited by PunkyBoo; 02-11-2021 at 08:42 PM.

I look forward to making many of these recipes (not all on dd's birthday)! Thanks so much!