Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Sharing a joy- DS is on his campus!

I’ve shared on here about my DS’s college application process and his decision to go to a small out-of-state liberal arts college. The college opted to go all virtual this past fall. Sharing our joy that DS got to move to campus.

The admins decided to invite freshman to live on campus for a shortened semester. DS is SO happy to be there! All the students had to quarantine before and after arrival, they are being tested once a week, class sizes are tiny, and normal welcoming activities are not being held. Even with all the restrictions, DS has found a core group of friends for movie nights and coffee runs. So far, positivity rate for Covid19 is below 2% and confined mainly to two athletic teams.

DS texts regularly and zooms with us once a week. To my joy, he asked to zoom with his sisters. DH and I left the room. We could hear them talking and laughing for an hour- which is more than he talked with them when he was at home!

The only downside is that DS has more quiet/alone time than he’d like during the day. With no campus events, minimal food service (no coffee shops are open on the campus itself and food is to-go only), no cross-dorm visiting allowed, and no spectators allowed at sports, it’s pretty quiet. He’s finding he has plenty of time to study. I expect his grades will be excellent!! :-)
    Last edited by California; 02-12-2021 at 02:05 PM.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

YAY!! What great news! I'm sure he'll find his way--it is a strange year for sure!

So glad to hear he was able to go!!
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yay!
    Are they allowed to visit with each other within the same dorm? I hope so because, assuming they already share bathrooms, it seems silly not to.
    Is there anything off campus to do? Mine goes bowling, laser tag and grabs food with friends. How about the gym?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Such exciting news! Thanks for sharing!!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Great news! It seems like the smaller schools are able to handle covid much better. I'm hoping DS1 will be in the same position in the fall.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

So happy for your DS! Hopefully he can socialize in his dorm and I'm sure he will meet some friends as time goes by.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Wonderful news!! So happy that he is able to be on campus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

Great news! I’m glad he’s enjoying himself.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Yay!
    Are they allowed to visit with each other within the same dorm? I hope so because, assuming they already share bathrooms, it seems silly not to.
    Is there anything off campus to do? Mine goes bowling, laser tag and grabs food with friends. How about the gym?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I hope your son is having a great experience too! It sounds like the town he is in doesn't have as many restrictions.

Yes, DS shares a common space with three other guys, and his hall has several large common rooms where people who live in the dorm hall can spread out and watch movies. I'm very impressed that even under these circumstances he's been able to make friends. He's really pushing himself to talk to people he meets in class. He joined a couple of clubs, which only meet online and mostly focus on planning for next year when they can meet in person. He's making an effort to connect with people in the clubs during the online meetings, and that's led to a some in-person friendships.

Indoor activities (outside of shopping) are still closed or very limited in the town he's in, and indoor dining is very restricted. He and his friends have gone to the zoo three times because it's one of the few open places. Gym on campus is open but with very limited capacity. They are playing board games, going for walks to the one neighborhood coffee shops, and watching movies. Having friends makes all the difference when there's not much to do! Once the weather warms up he's the type to play frisbee and walk around local parks. I think he'll love it in spring!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast