California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Anyone here from Central America? Got a question for you!

One of my SIL's refers to me as her sister. It's very obvious if you look at us that I'm not biologically her sister :-) I think this is very sweet and my kids love it. I haven't asked her about it- I don't know why I feel shy about this one! Her parents immigrated to the US from Central America and her first language is Spanish. My kids speak Spanish. However, my kids' education hasn't covered "what you call your sister-in-law." I've wondered if this is cultural for her and if I should refer to her as my sister when she's with me? She is a very warm, affectionate, giving person. I sometimes wonder if I come off as colder to her as I'm not as outwardly affectionate as she is. I know this is a trivial question but it's been on my mind for a while.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

OK, I didn't think we had any Central Americans on here but thought I would ask just in case! I feel blessed to even be wondering about this !

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m of Indian origin and my cousins in India refer to me as their sister when they introduce me. For sister-in-law there’s a specific term.
    I don’t know, but I’m guessing it may be something similar. IMO you can introduce her as your sister-in-law if you want, as long as you are warm towards her, which I’m sure you are :-)

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am not from Central America, but Spanish Is my first language. The word for sister in law is cuñada. I grew up in Puerto Rico, and we don’t refer to sisters in law as sisters. It is possible that it is a custom to use the term sister in her country of origin. I wouldn’t worry about reciprocating. Do what feels comfortable.