Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

From your description I think over the fireplace might be the only logical place. What’s his concern with it there? We put our tv there in one of our rooms. It was really the only choice except a tv stand in the corner that you would have trouble seeing from most spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am of the same opinion as your DH, I don’t like the idea of tv above the fireplace. It’s just not at eye level and I don’t get how anyone finds it comfortable to view it up there without straining their neck. Why do you not like the idea of tv opposite windows? We have that exact setup with tv facing the side with windows.

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    I am of the same opinion as your DH, I don’t like the idea of tv above the fireplace. It’s just not at eye level and I don’t get how anyone finds it comfortable to view it up there without straining their neck. Why do you not like the idea of tv opposite windows? We have that exact setup with tv facing the side with windows.

You don’t have a problem with window glare?

I thought the height was going to be a problem but it’s been fine. I think it helps if you can sit far enough away.

I don’t know why it’s a problem to have it on the side facing the neighbors. I really haven’t been able to see any of the drawings though so maybe I’m missing something. Our tv is over our fireplace in one room and the pretty view of outside is on the adjacent wall. We have multiple seats in the room. Some are better for watching tv. Some are better for looking outside. I assume you’ll have more than just a couch in there?

trales is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

He has a painting he wants above the fireplace and doesn't like looking up. I agree that facing the neighbors seems the most logical, but they our backs are to the fireplace and away from the prettiest view which is the woods.

What do you think the the couches were facing each other, perpendicular to the fireplace and TV, and then a chair could be moved to face either the TV or the fireplace, which would be opposite each other?

We often have the fireplace and the TV at the same time. . .

In our current living room, the TV is next to the fireplace on the low table and it works well, but the new rooms has 5 ft. window on each side of the fireplace. I don't think I want the TV in front of the window.

I don't want to get rid of a window to allow for a TV. But maybe I could slide the windows away from the fireplace and put bookshelves on either side of the fireplace and then put the TV next to the fireplace? Would that be too much with bookshevles flanking the windows on the end of the room?

We do not have a huge TV- only 32 inches.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

re do of picture on white paper with sharpie. I hope you can see this one.IMG_6329.jpg
    Tracey

It must be something with how you’re uploading the pictures, not the pictures themselves. Still nothing.

Clearly, I am technology troubled . . .

I uploaded them to flickr, maybe this works: https://www.flickr.com/photos/192150.../shares/9Q1Ye1
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/192150.../shares/To00Vv
    Tracey

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Which sides are North South East West? That will make a difference in TV placement for glare more than anything else. If that isn’t a factor, then I think 2 couches facing each other with the fireplace on one open end and the tv on the other open end. Then place the chairs. As far as the siding for outside, your cedar siding that you already have is lovely shades of gray. I would match the paint for the clapboard to the shade in it that you like best so it will blend. Painting the clapboard a totally different contrasting color may make it obvious that it’s an addition. However, it’s hard to say without seeing all angles and sides of the house.

Do you need a closet? Could the tv perhaps go on an angled stand there? Then have a couch that faces that and more seating that faces outside? I don't like 2 couches facing each other when the tv requires a complete head swivel to see. At least one seat should be arranged to see the tv best if you want to watch tv in there I don't think I would want to get rid of windows but interested in the idea of bookshelves flanking the tv then the windows.

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Do you need a closet? Could the tv perhaps go on an angled stand there? Then have a couch that faces that and more seating that faces outside? I don't like 2 couches facing each other when the tv requires a complete head swivel to see. At least one seat should be arranged to see the tv best if you want to watch tv in there I don't think I would want to get rid of windows but interested in the idea of bookshelves flanking the tv then the windows.
    Good point! I have never had that room arrangement, but can see what you are saying. Along with SnuggleBuggles idea of using a corner, if you are relying on the closet space, perhaps use one of the corners where one of the bookcases are placed?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast