Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    trales is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default help with room layout for our new living room

Foundation posts are in! after a sink hole, undisclosed, abandoned septic tank and super high water table table. (another story)
    Construction starts in 6 weeks. I am attaching the layout b/c I need help.
    1. Where do we put the TV
    2. Should I shift windows to make room
    3. How do we arrange furniture.
    4. Side with sliding door faces neighbors house, other 2 sides face beautiful woods, so I want to avoid TV on neighbor side.
    5. Thinking mini split or little propane heater, where should that go

Addition will be 9 feet off ground on far side bc of slope. Even with first floor of house which is ground level in front.
    Was going to make it 2 stories, but water table, digging made that an additional 100K, so we did not make a basement. The old part of house has a basement- that is dry, but slope is strange. Size cannot be changed, but windows can be shifted a little bit.

Scale on the picture is 2squares = 1 foot.
    IMG_6326.jpg
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

I also need color help. The current house is a classic cedar shingle cape cod with 6 over 1 windows and black shutters. The shingles have aged to a beautiful grey. The addition will be cedar clapboards. What color should we paint those- a shade of blue, red, butter yellow?

The doors are currently Tiffany blue, but can be repainted any color. I usually mix it up, buy a gallon of paint and redo the doors for a pop of color every few years.
    Tracey

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default help with room layout for our new living room

Color- a shade of blue. Like one lighter than navy sounds nice to me.
    Your image is broken.

Are there no offer options for heat? I’m not familiar with propane heaters so have no idea their space constraints or if you need area around it. Baseboard heating? No way to tie into your central HVAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

So, the current HVAC system is less than 2 years old and is forced hot air and isn't sized for the new room and would mean breaking through the basement wall and moving it outside and then up into the new room. So. . . Every HVAC person has said a mini split system on the wall or one of the Rinnai direct vent furnaces. We have a 500gallon propane tank buried in the yard. The rest of the house does not have AC, so we could get a mini split that would allow for more AC units.

Try this image, I saved it as another file type. IMG_6326.jpg
    Tracey

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Issue with image is it’s too low resolution so it’s hard to see. Mini splits are great, everyone I know who has one loves it
    Whay is the feel and the color theme of the rest of the house? That should determine what you do here. Our is a dark grey blue. But white walls also look really nice and provide a blank canvas

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I can't read what's on the perimeter of the lines. Can you draw it out without graph paper and just write it bigger? Maybe take some pics of favorite spots around the existing rooms?

Can you just list what the room dimensions are? I can’t zoom in on the image at all and can’t see any details beyond it looks like a rectangle. Mini splits are becoming quite popular in the NE so I’d go with that. All my friends who have added them are happy with their choice.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

The room is 16' wide and 24' long. On the long side facing the woods are 2 5' windows and a 4' fire place. She 16' end facing the backyard has 8ft window and 2 4 ft bookshelves on either end. The long side facing the neighbor will have a 5 ft window and a 6ft sliding door. The side attached the house will have an 8ft opening and a 4 ft closet.

The rest of the house is painted revere pewter and coastal pleasure with linen white trim. We have southern yellow pine floors, with traditional oriental style area rugs on them. The new room will get wood floors, maybe not southern yellow pine (probably an oak), in front of the sliding door and fireplace will be slate tile. Trim and windows will match the rest of the house. House is 1940 and most furniture is pretty simple with clean straight lines and small in scale bc the house is so small. This room opens to kitchen which has pine floors, white and grey granite counters, white subway tile backsplash and cherry shaker style cabinets.

It is the exterior color I need help with for the new addition. What color for the clapboards.

The rest of the house is only 1475sq ft.

Where would you put the TV? DH is totally against putting it above the fireplace, I don't think it should go in front of window. I will try to get a better picture or drawing tonight.

We have a basic grey tweed couch that we plan to move in there, simple clean lines, thinking of getting another couch in the same style, different color and maybe a poang chair- they are so comfy. The couch is Jonathan Louis artimus choices, with straight arms.

Thanks all.
    Tracey

IMG_6328.jpg This is the current exterior. Sorry for the off cut-off but the address is on the house, so I wanted to cut that off. The addition will go behind the little bump out.
    Tracey

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    Issue with image is it’s too low resolution so it’s hard to see. Mini splits are great, everyone I know who has one loves it
    Whay is the feel and the color theme of the rest of the house? That should determine what you do here. Our is a dark grey blue. But white walls also look really nice and provide a blank canvas
    I thought she was talking about the outside of the house?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast