Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

One thing to consider is that for a 32" tv, you want to be no more than 6-8 ft away. I would put a TV stand to the left of the fireplace, at an angle, then put a couch facing the fireplace and two chairs to the right of the fireplace facing the window seat. If you shift everything toward the window seat, you might get away with putting the TV on the bookshelf, but with the distance as it is, that will put the people to the right of the fire place about 15 ft from the TV - you would need a TV about double in size for that to work.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    Which sides are North South East West? That will make a difference in TV placement for glare more than anything else. If that isn’t a factor, then I think 2 couches facing each other with the fireplace on one open end and the tv on the other open end. Then place the chairs. As far as the siding for outside, your cedar siding that you already have is lovely shades of gray. I would match the paint for the clapboard to the shade in it that you like best so it will blend. Painting the clapboard a totally different contrasting color may make it obvious that it’s an addition. However, it’s hard to say without seeing all angles and sides of the house.
    Neighbor side (sliding door) is north, fireplace is south,
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

You guys are really good. I think ditching the closet is the answer, we don't need it with. With the closet gone, I can shift the windows, but built in's under, put plants in front of the window, and the the TV on a nice shelf between the fireplace and window.

I agree with the odd viewing angle if the couches face each other.

I will draw it and put it on flikr.

You guys are the best.

As for color, we could shingle in the same as the rest of the house, but then that is A LOT of grey. I was thinking on the end with the big picture window to used cedar shingles on the triangle, then clapboards on the rest. I like the idea of a pop of color. A lot of capes around here have additions off the back like this and they are a different color and clapboard rather than shingle.
    Tracey

Here it is with the closet removed, the windows shifted for the TV. I was wrong, our TV is 36" so a little bigger.

https://flic.kr/p/2kC6cN9
    Tracey

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We have the tv opposite from the fireplace with a couch perpendicular and 2 chairs facing the couch, one of the chairs (a big comfy leather one) is ideally placed at an angle to watch the tv. The person on the couch has a great spot if they are lying down. The other chair can be turned to watch tv. It is not an ideal layout, but find it works ok- we don't really have another option, other than putting the tv over the fireplace but it is tall with a big mantel and we didn't want to do that. It is rare that we are all in there watching tv, but have other chairs that can be pulled in or sometimes people will sit on the floor. It is fine for 3-4 tv watchers, but usually there are only 1 or 2 people watching it at a time.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Do you have a rec room or similar? Where is your TV currently?

I would love to have a room with NO TV at all.

Another suggestion - we had our bookcases built with cupboards as lowers; you might think about that instead of a closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Do you have a rec room or similar? Where is your TV currently?

I would love to have a room with NO TV at all.

Another suggestion - we had our bookcases built with cupboards as lowers; you might think about that instead of a closet.
    Yes- that is the plan for the bookcase, cupboards on the bottom!

The room that the TV is in right now is tiny, has a fire place, windows, front door and staircase. I will move out the couch, put in 2-3 comfy chairs, bookshelves, and the piano. The piano is currently in the kitchen, I can't wait till I can move it out. At 1475 sq ft. there are not a lot of room.

First floor is living room, kitchen, bedroom, office and bath, second floor is 2 bedrooms and bath.

Part of the reason for the addition, is the current living room can hold an apartment sized couch and one other chair. So we needed more space.
    Tracey

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Looks like it's getting closer! I would swap the single chair and the sofa opposite it for better traffic flow. Have you considered a sectional or a sofa with a chaise?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Looks like it's getting closer! I would swap the single chair and the sofa opposite it for better traffic flow. Have you considered a sectional or a sofa with a chaise?
    I have thought about sectionals, they intrigue me, but does it give less flexibility. I like the idea of one. We do have a nice and pretty new couch though, I would hate to waste it. I am open to anything.
    Tracey

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Sectionals seem divisive on this board. I love them. I’ve never regretted our u shaped one nor interested in a modular design. But, I know that some prefer that flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3