Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default My middle schooler has pinworm f$@k!

How the F does an 11yr old middle schooler who goes to school that’s only 5-8 grades, wears a mask all day, doesn’t share anything, stays in the same room and eats there too, washes or sanitizes hands a hundred times a day and doesn’t go anywhere other than school get f’ing pinworm?!?!?!

I’m beside myself. I’m pissed. And I’m so sorry for her because at this age she knows what it is and thinks she’s gross and dirty and is so embarrassed. It’s 9pm in a snowstorm and DH just drove an hour round trip to by medicine and I just scrubbed our bathrooms and lysoled every door knob, light switch and thing she could touch. I have a load of throw blankets in the wash. Towels are next. I’ve instructed her that she needs to shower first thing each morning. Use a towel only once. Put towel and pjs and underwear in the laundry. And that we will have to wash her bedding first thing tomorrow and daily for a while.

What else am I forgetting???

And again how does a tween get pinworm during a freaking pandemic when she only leaves the house for school?! Whose kid isn’t washing their hands in a pandemic?! And obviously my kid isn’t doing a great job hand washing either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Ugh ugh ugh. That really sucks. I don’t have any experience, but I know someone whose 9 month old got chicken pox from a baby swing at a park last month. Family is all online and no other contact with anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Don't worry too much about the 'gross ' factor-- as a medical lab technician I can tell you it's more common than you might think. It doesn't mean you're gross and dirty.
    As for where she got it--- do you have any animals? My neice got it from her dog.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Default My middle schooler has pinworm f$@k!

We do have a dog but everything I’ve read says it’s a human only worm.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/pinwor...info/faqs.html

And I don’t know how the dog would get it. He doesn’t interact with other animals and we are under several feet of snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I had never heard of these until you posted about them years ago (I think it was you?). Well, either when you posted or shortly after, they went though our house. I wouldn’t have had any idea! So, the bright side is that your experience helped us...and because we’re not gross people that means you aren’t either.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. No experience (yet) in our house with pinworms but I don't think you are gross people I wonder if most hand hygiene is being done with hand sanitizer at school while pinworms would need soap and water.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I had never heard of these until you posted about them years ago (I think it was you?). Well, either when you posted or shortly after, they went though our house. I wouldn’t have had any idea! So, the bright side is that your experience helped us...and because we’re not gross people that means you aren’t either.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Yup. That was us. Same child. About 5 or 6 years ago. I was out of town and DH had to deal with all the laundry and cleaning of children on his own. At least the upside at age 11, the child is more than capable of stripping her bed and doing her laundry and keeping herself showered.

Oh, and I don't think we are gross people. DD2 said she thinks she's gross. I'm trying very hard to walk the fine line between reminding her of proper hygiene, like hand washing, but not make her feel like she's a gross/dirty person.

And yes, carolinamama, I wonder about hand sanitizer too. In the K-4 building their are sinks in the classroom. There isn't once you get to middle school. So her only handwashing is if she uses the bathroom. In class it is all hand sanitizer. So, she could wash her hands in the bathroom, touch the door handle that another child with pinworm touched, contaminate her hands, and then go back to her classroom where she eats lunch at her desk.

The TWIV crew has a parasitology podcast, and there's an episode on pinworm. Since I'm teaching parasitology this semester, I've been listening to a lot of these episodes. Pinworm eggs can become airborne very easily and spread, and they remain infective for days. You all probably need to be treated. Additionally, I don't think just using hand sanitizer is going to be good enough against pinworm eggs. The whole class needs to be disinfected, and they all need to be actually washing their hands.

Also, am I crazy, or aren't you also a former MT? And yes, pinworms are human, whipworms are dogs. They look very similar, but the pinworms didn't come from the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    The TWIV crew has a parasitology podcast, and there's an episode on pinworm. Since I'm teaching parasitology this semester, I've been listening to a lot of these episodes. Pinworm eggs can become airborne very easily and spread, and they remain infective for days. You all probably need to be treated. Additionally, I don't think just using hand sanitizer is going to be good enough against pinworm eggs. The whole class needs to be disinfected, and they all need to be actually washing their hands.

Also, am I crazy, or aren't you also a former MT? And yes, pinworms are human, whipworms are dogs. They look very similar, but the pinworms didn't come from the dog.
    Yes, I am a former MT. And yup, we are treating the entire family. We live in NY and so schools are on vacation this week. And YESSSSSS hand washing and yet there's no hand washing in the classroom!!!! Ugh. And what I recall with pinworm is that it takes like a month or two for the infection to show, so she was exposed to this back in early January! Think of how many other kids in that school must've been too, especially with eggs surviving for weeks. I'm disgusted. So much for cleaning and disinfecting the schools during COVID.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast