Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: What masks now?

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    I just received an x-small of the savethen95 Etsy mask that I ordered for ds1 (small 11 yo). It fits him well! He has a flat nose, so getting something that fits him well and doesn't slip down has been tough. It is very well constructed. I picked the adjustable elastic and they are really nice! I ordered Sunday and it arrived today, California to Massachusetts, so really fast. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Thanks for the review. I was thinking of trying the adjustable strap, but that one is thicker so I wonder if it might be more uncomfortable.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default What masks now?

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Hmmm, but if I'm wearing it for 30 min. in a grocery store and managing fine.. I wonder if sometimes these general recommendations are meant for people who might overdo it.
    All day would be different for sure! For all masks they say fit is most important and ability to breathe easily. So it is different for everyone.

For all day school for DS, it’ll depend on rates in our area. I think we’ll have him try medical under cloth, but if that’s uncomfortable all day then just one layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been sewing my own masks so don't have a great seller rec but would suggest looking at 3d/origami-style masks. My family likes ones that are a little curved at the top under the eyes like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/8903109...=1&bes=1&col=1

The 3d pattern is our family favorite because it doesn't touch the lips or slip off the nose when we talk. I'd look for a type with a nosewire and silicone strap adjusters to get a good fit behind the ears.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    All day would be different for sure! For all masks they say fit is most important and ability to breathe easily. So it is different for everyone.

For all day school for DS, it’ll depend on rates in our area. I think we’ll have him try medical under cloth, but if that’s uncomfortable all day then just one layer.

That would make sense. I know they have to be really careful how they word these PSAs, to avoid potentially risky behavior.

For us, we only do this in high risk situations, and we are fortunate to rarely be in those situations and for short periods.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post

So compared to my cloth masks, which I made with 2 layers of tightly woven cotton + a filter (I used a Swiffer dry sheet for electrostatic filtering), a KN95 and a 3M N95 were easier for me to breathe in. The fabric of the cloth definitely makes a difference with breathability. And the good thing about the manufactured nonwoven filter layers used in N95s/etc is that they were optimized for breathability and filtration.

So if you've been used to wearing high quality cloth masks with tightly woven cottons/multiple layers, then a KN95 or N95 is actually rather pleasantly breathable, at least to me!

I think a medical mask under well-fitting cloth mask (and the fabric itself doesn't have to be super tightly woven - by well-fitting I just mean that the edges form to the nose/cheeks/chin well) is a great option.

And the trick with pinching the sides of a medical mask together (push the excess pleating inward towards your face) and securing it there by tying the ear loops is also a great option (eliminates those side gaps!) but I find this works well only for smaller faces - could be a great option for kids depending on age. It's a really great single-layer breathable option.

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    I ordered the sample pack of the kf 94s from behealthyusa and got several different size sMalls and mediums. The smalls fit DS (just turned 7) well and also fit me ok though the mediums fit me a little better. They have adjustable elastic straps that help a lot with the fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you have a link to the sample pack? I wonder if it’s gone - i couldn’t find it.

Mama to 3 awesome kids

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post
    Do you have a link to the sample pack? I wonder if it’s gone - i couldn’t find it.

Yes, it's here: https://behealthyusa.net/apps/bundles/bundle/60433

It's not the cheapest way to get them, but it's a great way to figure out what works for you before you order a different way! I picked an assortment of size smalls and mediums since I wasn't sure what would fit me (so far all the smalls and mediums work ok, though I would order mediums next time). I also grabbed a couple of larges for DH.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post

It's not the cheapest way to get them, but it's a great way to figure out what works for you before you order a different way! I picked an assortment of size smalls and mediums since I wasn't sure what would fit me (so far all the smalls and mediums work ok, though I would order mediums next time). I also grabbed a couple of larges for DH.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love The Better Mask for both me and my kids!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post

thank you!
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6