Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Masks comparable to mama seamstress

Of all the masks we have tried, mama seamstress works the best for the whole family. She seems to not be taking orders at the moment but I do need some more since Dd took some of my masks to college.

Do you all have any ideas? This is for me and I would like some pretty patterns if possible, but it’s not a must, of course :-) I do need to have a nose wire and a filter pocket.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I haven't found any! They are our favorite as well and the only ones that fit 11 year old DS2. He had 2 and then lost 1 so only has 1 mask that fits well!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My most recent fav is a $3 one from Target, it does have a nose wire and a pocket and I was able to find some really cute patterns. They have them usually right near the checkouts. I don't know what the mama seamstress ones were like though, so I can't compare.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We are in the same boat! They are the only ones that work well for dd and her glasses 😩.... I wish she would open back up!

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am looking as well, and emailed MamaSeamstress from an old contact I had with her - have heard nothing.

I am looking at the new Origami style masks, specifically the ones that have a nose wire and filter pocket. These probably need to be made out of stiffer fabric than quilter's cotton to hold their shape over time. It looks like I need to plan on spending $20 a mask for adult size masks for those or for well rated ones that are shaped, have nose wires and filter pockets, and appear to be made by what appears to be a smaller business (my parameters for purchase). Girls are 18 and 13 now, so adult size is what is needed.

I have tried multiple styles of the masks from Target, and am not really happy with them. The pleated ones are slightly better to get a filter into, but don't have a great nose wire - none of their masks that I have tried so. The shaped ones (like from Goodfellow or the women's equivalent) have the inner liner fabric the exact same size as the outer layers, instead of ending a bit short on the sides to make a filter pocket that is easier to access. We use blue shop towels cut into the same shape as the mask for filters - getting that into the Target masks (or likely any filter) is horribly frustrating. No one else in my family can manage it.

The nose wires in the Target masks don't hold their shape - the wire used is not the best one, it will not stay how you bend it, which makes the mask stand out from your face and defeats the purpose.

I would only consider the Target masks if I was willing to cut the sides down and rehem them and replace the nose wire - no idea if they would fit even then, and this amount of work kind of eliminates my purpose in buying vs sewing my own.

I will try to circle back and post if I hear something from MamaSeamstress or find other masks on Etsy we are happy with.

Wow, I wonder if she realizes what a following she has. I have a couple of friends who are also waiting for her to go back in business! For me the mama seamstress nose wire works really well -since I wear glasses it is critical to prevent fogging.

I wear take care masks for groceries as that is probably the riskiest thing I do (over a kn95 since the winter surge). They work out well though there is no nose wire, but I don’t wear them for long. They are thicker than the mama seamstress.
    https://us.takecaresupply.com/collec...precision-mask

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just realized i have the phone number for one of the sweet girls at MamaSeamstress because I picked mine up from her in person. I just sent her a text asking if there is a way for "my friends" to order more masks from her since those are your favorites. I'll let you know if I hear back from her!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    I just realized i have the phone number for one of the sweet girls at MamaSeamstress because I picked mine up from her in person. I just sent her a text asking if there is a way for "my friends" to order more masks from her since those are your favorites. I'll let you know if I hear back from her!!

Thanks for asking!!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post

Oooo my fingers are crossed! All ours are wearing out and I really haven't found anything comparable that fits appropriately and my kids like. Thank you!
    Lizi

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

double post
    Last edited by Liziz; 02-18-2021 at 06:08 PM. Reason: double post
    Lizi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast