Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default S/O: how much do you pay for sleep away camp?

The costs in California are astronomical (imho) and the cheapest one I have found is $1,450 for one week. Most are about $2,000 a week and have a minimum of two weeks so just about $4k for two weeks. One of my friends and her DH worked at one of those camps in college and told me years ago “it is truly a camp for rich kids.” Is this normal in the rest of the country where sleepaway summer camp seems to be more popular?

Previous years DD2 has gone to sleepaway camp with the YMCA in our old area and we paid $475 a week. I would send her back to that camp again but they haven’t said they are open for this year. The Campfire Camp in our old area says they are open as well and again the cost is under $1,000 ($650), but they are most likely already full now, but I will check even though it would require an hour drive for drop off and pick up location and the camp is actually closer to where we live now (about 45 minutes). I also need to look at Girl Scout Camp even though DD2 is not in a Girl Scout troop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-17-2021 at 12:14 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Church sponsored camp. No A/C, extremely basic accommodations. 1 week = $325. It’s by far the cheapest around and he loves it!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids go to Camp Rockfish, which is a United Methodist camp in NC. $475 for Sunday through Friday.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    ... I also need to look at Girl Scout Camp even though DD2 is not in a Girl Scout troop.
    DD goes to Girl Scout daycamp and there are plenty of campers who aren't currently Girl Scouts in her programs, but this may vary by Council. (Our council used to ask campers to also pay for a membership, as I believe this helped them cover everyone using Girl Scout insurance.)

Sleepaway sessions in our council range from $600/wk to $800/wk depending on the program (for example, anything involving horseback riding costs more because of stable fees.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

$1025 base price per week session in a relatively low/med cost of living area. It's a YMCA camp, no a/c in cabins. Horseback riding adds just over $200 but I've never signed my kids up for it. DD would love to stay for multiple sessions but (and sometimes I can't believe I'm that parent to that kid) she's a competitive gymnast and would fight being out of the gym for more than a week and DS2's limit is one week.

I have very fond memories of summer camp growing up so I try hard to get them there.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Scout camp and church camp are $300-350. Scout camp is tents, church camp is cabin with window A/C.

YMCA is $550-650 depending on the program you choose. Fairly new cabins, no A/C.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

$4700 for four weeks for a Jewish camp in Indiana.
    They are bound and determined to be open this summer and I am counting down the days. DS's school has been 100% virtual all year and I am DONE.

Default S/O: how much do you pay for sleep away camp?

DS1 is going away to his first sleep away camp that’s 5-6 hours away in neighboring state. The cost from Sunday to Saturday is 750 for those nights. They also have 2 weeks long sessions but it’s for 11 years and older which is about $1,200 or 1,400 which is basically dirt cheap for the length and activities included. We’re in the northeast/mid Atlantic region. Ds1 also wants to do a soccer speciality camp which runs 1,200 or so for one week. That seems average from what I’ve talked with various sport camps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids go to a Y camp for 2 week sessions. Original camp was around $1900 (it’s actually 12 days). We did a horse riding add on for DD which was add’l $250. When their Y camp in another state didn’t open last summer we switched to a Y camp in our current state. It is $2500 for 13 days plus $300 for horse riding add on for DD and $300 for water sports add on for DS. If you are a Y member it’s around $400 less each. I was a member last year but this year will join Y for month they are there to get discount. I’m not planning to return to a gym but have been a Y member for over 20 years so don’t feel guilty about taking advantage of member discount.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Big Y camp on the east coast 2 weeks is 2K. Rough cabins, no AC, no electronics, very traditional arts and crafts, swim, sail, canoe, archery and 2 nights camping in the mountains.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast