Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Here’s another complication… We have to be prepared for waitlists, and to my understanding when you get off a waitlist you have a very limited time to make a decision. There is so much uncertainty this year with a huge boost in applications and Covid restrictions. Professionals expect a lot of waitlisting to compensate for the uncertainty.
    I think this will only be an issue at the most selective schools in the nation (top 50 or so) where applications are way up. Everywhere else I think schools will be scrambling to make their yield.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I really don't think I can let DS1 make a $160k decision without ever stepping foot on campus. I know people do it all the time, but besides our house, it will be the biggest purchase we've ever made!

Wow! I agree a campus visit is important when that much money is on the line. Even with merit aid that is a huge amount of money to invest and kudos to those who are able to make that happen and not push the debt to their kids. Another reason to visit more schools so mistakes aren’t made when applying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I really don't think I can let DS1 make a $160k decision without ever stepping foot on campus. I know people do it all the time, but besides our house, it will be the biggest purchase we've ever made!

So much money! It's just crazy. I wouldn't buy a house I had only seen a video tour of either . Class of 2021 has it rough trying to figure this out. I'm pretty confident that 2022 kids will fare better in that accepted student days can be in person again.
    Kris

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think this will only be an issue at the most selective schools in the nation (top 50 or so) where applications are way up. Everywhere else I think schools will be scrambling to make their yield.

Yes, for sure. And I can’t imagine sending them without visiting even once 😬

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Yes, for sure. And I can’t imagine sending them without visiting even once
    Yes which is even with all of this covid stuff I would still travel now if I had to make a decision regarding colleges (if I had a junior or senior this year).

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Yes which is even with all of this covid stuff I would still travel now if I had to make a decision regarding colleges (if I had a junior or senior this year).

This is our dilemma. Dh and I both have some health issues which helped make the decision for virtual learning for all 4 kids. But DS1 has a 2 week spring break coming up and he would like to visit some universities in Colorado. That’s a 14-15 hour drive for us. Do they fly? Ideally we’d like to wait until Dh is vaccinated before we travel but that might not be until this summer.

DS1 is VERY interested in KrisM’s alma mater, Michigan Tech and that’s in driving distance so they will visit that on the next 3 day weekend he has. But the further colleges are making us scratch our heads.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

We are currently still driving to destinations in the 14-16 hour range. I am not going to be comfortable flying for a while. But I will drive and only go inside at rear stops to use the restroom and grab food to go which we eat in the car or outside in folding chairs.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would make 14 - 15 hr drive work before I would get on an airplane. Contactless checkin at hotels and all meals to go.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8