Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Hysterectomy Surgery in Covid times? Any advice for post-op?

Even though I've tried to avoid it for years, it appears I will have to have a hysterectomy. Tentatively scheduled for mid-March.

I am nervous about having it done during Covid times, but unless something has drastically changed at next weeks's appointment, that's what we are looking at. So - no support at all. No one allowed in the hospital building. No one allowed to pre-op appointment or discharge instructions. No surgery waiting room. (They do curbside pick-up like a dang take-out meal!) They're also not sure if they can do a lap surgery, or if they'll have to do the ab incision kind - which is the difference between day surgery and staying a few days! No personal belongings except going home clothes and medical devices (glasses, hearing aids, dentures, ect). Not even a chapstick or toothbrush! Is this the normal now?

Any advice welcome! I've never had any surgery. Things to ask at pre-op? Things to buy for home recovery? Things to bring to the hospital (assuming I'm allowed)?

ETA: They do allow visitors/support person for pediatrics, birthing center, and end-of-life, but not other departments.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 02-21-2021 at 06:28 PM.

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I know this isn't particularly helpful, but - a good friend just had an abdominal incision (non laparoscopic) hysterectomy a month ago -- like you, it'd been coming for awhile and just couldn't be put off any longer. It went really smoothly and really well!!! She was very disappointed about no family at the hospital -- this was just as the surge was starting around the holidays and the rules changed 2 days before her surgery. But it went fine and she said the worst thing she had to complain about was that she was bored. So like I said, not too helpful in terms of actual advice, but I just wanted to share a story of a similar situation that went really easily and well. Sending you good vibes for it all to go smoothly!
    Lizi

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Even though I've tried to avoid it for years, it appears I will have to have a hysterectomy. Tentatively scheduled for mid-March.

I am nervous about having it done during Covid times, but unless something has drastically changed at next weeks's appointment, that's what we are looking at. So - no support at all. No one allowed in the hospital building. No one allowed to pre-op appointment or discharge instructions. No surgery waiting room. (They do curbside pick-up like a dang take-out meal!) They're also not sure if they can do a lap surgery, or if they'll have to do the ab incision kind - which is the difference between day surgery and staying a few days! No personal belongings except going home clothes and medical devices (glasses, hearing aids, dentures, ect). Not even a chapstick or toothbrush! Is this the normal now?

Any advice welcome! I've never had any surgery. Things to ask at pre-op? Things to buy for home recovery? Things to bring to the hospital (assuming I'm allowed)?
    I only know from mom's groups (having babies) and the hospitals I work (again ob though), but they are still bringing in anything they want and allowed 1 visitor. If you are able to put it off a month or so it seems like our hospitals' restrictions are easing as numbers keep going down. I thought all hysterectomies even lap stayed overnight?! Maybe not in some areas but yeesh that seems extreme to send you home same day, it's not like a gallbladder. Good luck!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

While my situation is different from yours to type of surgery and planned. I did have emergency surgery on my foot and was supposed to go home next day. Essential almost in and out, but I had high BP in reaction to the pain.

So I ended up staying at the hospital for 3 nights. That was right at beginning of surge when my hospital was prepping for all the incoming covid patients. It went well in the end. They allowed my husband to drop in next day with charger for my phone, socks, and few other essentials for my stay. He dropped it off at the front desk where it was brought up to my room.

I was anxious I didn’t have anyone to advocate for me in pre op, post op when I was all groggy from effects of surgery and my stay. But the nurses amazing. They went and beyond, I had one of the nurses who really advocated for me with one of the doctors. You’ll be fine. Not ideal certainly. But the hospital and staff really shines when it comes to this to help you. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically in September. I was trying to delay it as much as possible, but it was causing more discomfort by then, so the surgeon suggested it would be better to do it then as opposed to it possibly getting infected and causing severe pain and me having to rush to the ER for emergency surgery.

My DH had to drop me curbside at the surgery center. The surgery waiting room was socially distanced, with chairs roped off so you could only sit in certain chairs. All the staff were wearing masks and shields, and I had to keep my mask on until we got into the OR and they were ready to sedate me (they had me swap my cloth mask for a paper mask when I changed into the hospital gown). They had the curtains drawn between each bed for privacy and for COVID prevention. A nurse helped me change back into my own clothes once I woke up (I was still groggy) and she wheeled me to the curbside pickup area in a wheelchair where DH was already waiting - they apparently called him to come get me when I came out of surgery. I stayed in the wheelchair while she explained the post-op instructions to him through the car window (her on the passenger side and him driver's side to maintain some distance), then she helped me up and into the car seat.

My drop off time was 6am, and I was back home at 10:15am. I had a post surgery follow-up after 10 days with the surgeon and that was it. I'm glad I did it, even though I was anxious about having a procedure during COVID and being by myself. After the recovery period, I felt much better physically as I wasn't having the pain and discomfort anymore. The surgery center took good precautions and I felt comfortable seeing how they handled the patients from a COVID standpoint.
    Last edited by dhano923; 02-20-2021 at 03:33 AM.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

I had an invasive procedure with anesthesia at a surgery center in mid January when numbers were high. Unfortunately, I was in a position where I couldn't avoid it. I was nervous about being around so many people and having no mask protection at times but everything felt organized and very well thought out. You will likely find that the COVID protocols and policies in hospitals are effective and well-practiced since the doctors, nurses and staff have been at it for almost a year now. They have had time to find what works and what does not. Visitor policies are also changing in many locations for non-COVID admissions to allow for one visitor. DH was actually called into post-op when we expected he would be in the parking lot the whole time. The surgery center had changed their policy that week. Lots of thoughts for a smooth surgery and easy recovery.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our hospitals don't have any of those restrictions, I'm sort of surprised that they don't allow any personal items at all. Can you confirm all of that? Ours allow 1 visitor now and I have heard it's similar in larger hospitals in Chicago (I live in Central Illinois).

I agree with others, the hospital have the precautions figured out so risk is low for covid exposure.

Good luck making your decision.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It will all be fine. If it helps you feel any better, I just had fibroid surgery last week. Same restrictions- had to be dropped off and picked up at the front entrance. The doctor and the post-op nurse have your pickup person's number to call when you are ready for pickup. They will (should) also provide all the post op instructions to that person over the phone as well. They will tell you the post-op instructions, but you might be groggy from the anaesthesia and not remember. In terms of Covid safety or exposure, I never felt unsafe. Stay calm and good luck!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    It will all be fine. If it helps you feel any better, I just had fibroid surgery last week. Same restrictions- had to be dropped off and picked up at the front entrance. The doctor and the post-op nurse have your pickup person's number to call when you are ready for pickup. They will (should) also provide all the post op instructions to that person over the phone as well. They will tell you the post-op instructions, but you might be groggy from the anaesthesia and not remember. In terms of Covid safety or exposure, I never felt unsafe. Stay calm and good luck!
    I agree with MMMommy — it should be fine. The staff have been working under this system for long enough that it’s second nature to them by now. And don’t forget to get a printed copy of the post-op instructions — they should give them to you automatically, but in case they forget, your pickup person should ask (even if they were given instructions over the phone!).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

yeah, that's strange. Our non covid units are allowing a visitor at a time, max of 2 total. People bring in whatever. Even when we were at surge level we allowed stuff. In terms of post op, have some sort of stool softener, a pillow to use for splinting your belly when you cough and have stuff set up to take it easy for a while (meals, groceries), pants that aren't too restrictive (leggings etc). Tylenol and ibuprofen are good to have on hand too. Brainless books or movies lined up! Good luck!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast