Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It’s a mess in LA county. Only 38% of the over 65 have been able to get vaccinated. On March 1st, another 1.8 million people will be eligible when they add essential workers. They have closed down vaccination sites several times due to not having any supply and other weeks have only had it open to second doses. My friend was supposed to get her second dose yesterday, but was postponed to March 1st due to lack of supply.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

On Friday I saw another BSA Scout mom who happens to be the head of Internal Medicine at our local hospital. She said that she is really pleased with how our hospital is handling vaccinations. Apparently, our little area has the highest percentage of people vaccinated in our state. She didn’t mention a number.

Dh and I are trying to be patient. But then we hear about some area college students on the basketball team who were all vaccinated and we get a little pi$$ed off.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Improving as far as I can tell. Our area is 37% of the state and the hardest hit (most densely populated) and the governor was only allocating 16% of the vaccines. He was called out. My husband and I have our second shots coming up (dentists and dental offices high on the list). My parents had issues getting scheduled but are now scheduled for March 4th!
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Slowly. It feels like we are behind, though every time I look at the projections put out for our state back in December, we are pretty much on target. 75+ opened at the beginning of February, and 65+ (or 2 high risk medical conditions) is opening now. They are estimating a month to get through the 65+ category, so that means essential workers in mid-March probably. On the bright side, I did manage to snag an appointment for today at Fenway for my mom, and my dad got vaccinated through work in January, so I am really looking forward to having them over for dinner in a few weeks!
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

I'm in the Austin area, and the vaccination situation is horrible. My parents, however, are in the panhandle of Texas (bright red area, Amarillo and Lubbock) and have had absolutely no problem getting a vaccine. My dad and I have a theory that all of the republican leaning areas of Texas are swimming in vaccines, while all of the democratic leaning areas are getting snubbed. I have every website open on both my phone and compute, and check multiple times per day to try to get DH vaccinated. Our county had well over 150,000 on the waitlist several weeks ago, and he was somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000 at that time. We still haven't heard anything.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    I'm in the Austin area, and the vaccination situation is horrible. My parents, however, are in the panhandle of Texas (bright red area, Amarillo and Lubbock) and have had absolutely no problem getting a vaccine. My dad and I have a theory that all of the republican leaning areas of Texas are swimming in vaccines, while all of the democratic leaning areas are getting snubbed. I have every website open on both my phone and compute, and check multiple times per day to try to get DH vaccinated. Our county had well over 150,000 on the waitlist several weeks ago, and he was somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000 at that time. We still haven't heard anything.
    I wonder if the uptake is lower in redder areas due to the various conspiracy theories.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Could it be that red areas are less populated and therefore it is easier to have a higher "percentage" of vaccines available for the populace?

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Honestly, this was the speculation in Missouri too. Whatever the reason was, blue St. Louis was getting 16% of the vaccines, despite having 37% of the state population and the bulk of the cases.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Pretty bad, and the winter storm really threw a wrench in it. Lots of stories about fire departments rushing to save vaccines in freezers that lost power, delayed shipments due to the storm, etc. Mass vaccination sites are only doing second doses now in order to catch up, and still got getting enough supply in to get through second doses quickly (lots of people a week+ behind in their second doses).

Getting an appt to get a first dose is a b*tch and requires tech savviness, perseverance, time...

People are driving way out into the boonies to get vaccinated because they can't get appointments in the big, more populated cities.

My entire family (adults) is 1b. My MIL (age 84) got her first Moderna dose but is now delayed for her second because of the storm - we hope she can get in within the next week or so which would still be fine. DH, patient of a large hospital system with multiple risk factors, is now fully vaccinated. I was not a current patient but got lucky and managed to snag a spot as soon as they opened up their "non-patient" portal and have had my first dose and am due for my second next week. I lucked out getting my parents vaccinated because I learned about extra doses at the big county hospital here and convinced my parents to GET IN THE CAR AND GO - my parents threw clothes on and drove 45 min to get there and managed to get vaccinated within an hour of them running out of the extra doses. Since they got their first dose there, they are registered for their second.

All that's to say, I feel like we had the "unfair advantage" of being able to navigate the messy online registrations, follow social media for gold nuggets like those extra doses, have cars and are willing and able to drive on short notice, are able to help our elderly parents, etc. Most people with essential jobs can't swing this.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    Honestly, this was the speculation in Missouri too. Whatever the reason was, blue St. Louis was getting 16% of the vaccines, despite having 37% of the state population and the bulk of the cases.

Same with Los Angeles. We are not getting the correct percentage based on population. It’s a disaster here!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast