Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    Honestly, this was the speculation in Missouri too. Whatever the reason was, blue St. Louis was getting 16% of the vaccines, despite having 37% of the state population and the bulk of the cases.
    Yep. My 97 yo grandmother finally got her vaccination when my dad and her went out to Rolla (about a 2 hr drive) for them which they said the parking lot was practically empty and they got right in. It was a drive up event which was better for my grandmother anyway (WHY they aren't doing any drive up events in the suburban/urban areas is beyond me....let's make 90 year olds walk through the hospitals and wait in line instead...) but still it's ridiculous.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    The original question prompted me to look at our state's covid dashboard, which has lot of the usual data: positivity rate, number of cases, deaths, ICU beds, etc etc. Oddly enough, the only info I found about vaccination were links to find out where and how to get an appointment for a vaccination. I might have missed it, but it’s an odd omission.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    I just checked the dashboard for NC. Looks like the data shows up under vaccinations on it, it just takes a while. https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/vaccinations Looks like we're around 10% for 1st dose for the state as a whole and maybe 5% for second dose. There are some counties at much higher %ages, but they're also the more rural areas with 1-10% of the doses given as the larger counties. I also wonder how they're calculating the population who has been vaccinated. I know in Franklin County, we had a lot of people crossing county lines from Wake for vaccines. So is the % vaccinated in Wake counting those people or is the % vaccinated in Franklin County artificially raised?
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    I just checked the dashboard for NC. Looks like the data shows up under vaccinations on it, it just takes a while. https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/vaccinations Looks like we're around 10% for 1st dose for the state as a whole and maybe 5% for second dose. There are some counties at much higher %ages, but they're also the more rural areas with 1-10% of the doses given as the larger counties. I also wonder how they're calculating the population who has been vaccinated. I know in Franklin County, we had a lot of people crossing county lines from Wake for vaccines. So is the % vaccinated in Wake counting those people or is the % vaccinated in Franklin County artificially raised?
    Thanks! I totally missed that. And you’re right — all the county level Covid data raises questions about whether it is County of Residence or occurrence. But it at least points out differences among variousparts of the state.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Same with Los Angeles. We are not getting the correct percentage based on population. It’s a disaster here!
    There's no way we're getting anywhere near the correct percentage. With the horrible numbers that we had in December and January you'd think there might be a reason to send more to the area, not less. So frustrating!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    There's no way we're getting anywhere near the correct percentage. With the horrible numbers that we had in December and January you'd think there might be a reason to send more to the area, not less. So frustrating!
    I get this but I'm also thinking that maybe the correct "percentage" for LA might not be able to be handed out quick enough? I mean, our percentage would mean a HUGE number of vaccines!

Still, I see how this is frustrating and inequitable. I have a friend who moved to Mammoth during this last year of school for her DS and they've already had the vaccine. This friend qualified as category 1c which they're already able to do in that smaller population.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I get this but I'm also thinking that maybe the correct "percentage" for LA might not be able to be handed out quick enough? I mean, our percentage would mean a HUGE number of vaccines!

Still, I see how this is frustrating and inequitable. I have a friend who moved to Mammoth during this last year of school for her DS and they've already had the vaccine. This friend qualified as category 1c which they're already able to do in that smaller population.
    I think they have the ability to give a lot more, they just don't have the supply. I know my district said they'd like to open up hybrid for K-2 on April 9th, but 25K teachers/staff would need to be vaccinated by Monday to meet that deadline. Teachers don't even qualify here until Monday, so there is no way that will happen. I'd be shocked if all 25K even get vaccinated by the end of March. It is a disaster!

hwin708 is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've been very pleased with my state's vaccination efforts, especially considering how poor the health care infrastructure here is (near bottom in the nation). They have consistently been middle or top of the heap in getting shots in arms. Moreover, they made it a priority from the start to ensure access to often underserved communities by distributing all over the state, focusing on local pharmacies. Yes, it can make for an unwieldy system, where you have to call a dozen places. People who prefer the mass drive-ups complain about this a lot. But it was also one where my elderly grandparent (who can not drive miles away to a mass site) just walked into her neighborhood pharmacy and had them call her when she could get a shot. It took two weeks, but that is really the fault of the inescapable issue - supply. You can see the supply allotment increasing based solely on the greater number of appointment slots becoming available everywhere. Our state opened up to a large new group a week ago, and another large group this week, and I am seeing so many people get appointments available within a few days.

As for schools, my private has been open all year. The publics closed for a few weeks with the holiday surge, but they are back up. We just opened vaccines to teachers, but I don't think that will play a large part in future school decisions. The school opening has largely been based on COVID numbers, which peaked over the holidays but have been rapidly declining.

And FYI to people struggling to find available appointments for themselves and family - I have seen a lot of people recommending this website. You put in your phone and location, and it texts you when an appointment becomes available at a nearby pharmacy (presumably it is only looking at large chains like Walgreens, CVS and Walmart, but their website doesn't stipulate). I would suggest having accounts set up in advance at those pharmacies, in case an appointment pops up, so you can quickly grab it.
    COVID Vaccine Signup Notification Tool (covidvaccinetexts.com)
    #BidenHarris2020 “It’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids character matters. It matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.”

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm sure it's a supply issue, but I'd argue that areas with large populations are exactly where there are lots of cases and a great need. I'm amazed that parts of the state are at 1C when other are just about to enter 1B. That's exactly the problem.

Here we are today in Missouri thanks to our awful excuse of a governor. From the rural county's news FB page on a mass vaccination event approximately 3 hours from STL :

"Update: At 3 p.m. ANYONE can go get the COVID vaccine at the Knights of Columbus. The health department has opened it up to anyone to avoid wasting the vaccine.
    A mass COVID-19 vaccination clinic is happening right now in Bollinger County at the Knights of Columbus in Leopold. Officials say they still have over 1,000 doses to give out. No appointment is necessary, but you can register before hand at xxxx. The event goes until 5pm today. KFVS-TV

4:40 p.m. UPDATE: 648 shots administered. 1,302 still available.
    3:25 p.m. UPDATE: 517 shots have been administered so far. They started with 1,950. "
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    I'm sure it's a supply issue, but I'd argue that areas with large populations are exactly where there are lots of cases and a great need. I'm amazed that parts of the state are at 1C when other are just about to enter 1B. That's exactly the problem.

Yea I agree with this. LA County needs probably almost 9 million vaccinations for every person counted in the census, every homeless person, and every person who is incarcerated. I am in Riverside and we are at 1B, part 2 now (so this also includes incarcerated and homeless). Just three weeks ago they were only vaccinating healthcare workers and 85+ and then they opened up a whole bunch of clinics and were able to drop it to 65+ and healthcare workers within a week, and when it was still 75+ about 1/2 of the clinics were not full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast