ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Dog dental chews that work?

Our vet suggested trying dog dental chews for out 3 yr. old Peke mix. I do have toothpaste that I have used just with my finger (she does not like the toothbrush, I should get a finger brush to try with her), but I have a hard time remembering to use it! She is very treat motivated, so if there are dental chews that will help with the plaque build up, I'm willing to try. Problem is, we are trying a limited ingredient diet to see if it helps with her itchiness and frequent ear and anal gland issues. Currently testing out Natural Balance LID Duck and Potato food, and am going to get treats in that too in case the Wellness treats she loves are part of the issue. Natural Balance does make dental chews in Duck that I can try, but I was curious if anyone else had a preferred brand they have used and liked.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not sure if this has the ingredients that you are looking for but we use Science Diet Oral care for our “extremely sensitive to everything” 45# standard poodle and our “inhales everything in sight” 18# yorkie mix...we’ve noticed a difference in their teeth/gums.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SASM View Post
    Not sure if this has the ingredients that you are looking for but we use Science Diet Oral care for our “extremely sensitive to everything” 45# standard poodle and our “inhales everything in sight” 18# yorkie mix...we’ve noticed a difference in their teeth/gums.
    Thanks! Are they over the counter or prescription through the vet? I need the place an order at Chewy today for food and figured I’d add the cheese onto that order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Thanks! Are they over the counter or prescription through the vet? I need the place an order at Chewy today for food and figured I’d add the cheese onto that order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nope...it’s food. I order online through Pet Supplies Plus and, depending on which location has it, they either deliver it to my house or bring it out to my car. I have ordered it from Chewy as well but Pet Supplies Plus tends to have some GREAT sales on Science Diet, etc so I stock up.

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

we use the Merrick Fresh Kisses dental treats for our chocolate lab.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05