Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm really sorry for your loss, Nicci. I hope your sister takes your response well. I think the wording is very caring but respects your need for boundaries.

Nicci, I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending you hugs and strength during this incredibly difficult time.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Niccig, so sorry to hear that your father died, and that the pandemic kept you from being able to visit him or to go to his funeral.

A friend passed on "Untamed" and I've been reading it this past week. Glennon Doyle writes about learning to think of her family as an 'island,' and becoming careful about who she permits on the island, specifically in regards to what emotions they bring with them. She notes that her kids will feel like they need to take care of their loved one who are experiencing strong emotions. This really resounded with me. I know it's not easy to tell your sister she can't visit. It's the right thing to do for you and for your DS, and I really respect that you are able to set that healthy boundary for yourself.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Wording help - loss mentioned

Thanks everyone. I put some boundaries in place last night, my sister asked if I wanted to talk to share stories of dad, and I told her I needed some alone time and I would call her today. We had a good talk when I called and shared stories. She didn’t mention the visit, but I’ll keep the wording suggested above in mind. We talked about some ways to remember dad. He had a way of saying goodbye to us when you talked with him on the phone. We laughed about that and other stories. I hung up at the end of the conversation then immediately called her back as we didn’t say goodbye properly. We then did dad’s goodbye and agreed we’ll do that whenever we talk.

Between her friends and her therapist, she’s got a good support network. I was worried she might lean on me too much, the suggestion to visit was part of that, and I don’t think I could do that. So, I’ll take care of me and DS, and not take on her emotional needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 02-22-2021 at 03:43 AM.

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am so sorry for your loss.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm so sorry for your loss Nicci, what a difficult situation. It sounds like you're dealing with your sister well, and that she's being reasonable. I'm glad you're prioritizing yourself and your family.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Niccig, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you had a good conversation with your sister.

I also hate that you can't fly back home. It's a sobering and heartbreaking reminder that while things are better in some countries (Australia and NZ among them), things are certainly not back to "normal" anywhere.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am so sorry for your loss and so glad you're taking the time to do what you need for you and DS. I'll be thinking of you and your family.
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm so sorry for your loss. Wishing you and DS peace to grieve in your own way.

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad. You will be in my thoughts.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5