chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Microwave replacement?

We had to get rid of our above the range microwave in order to put in a more powerful exhaust hood for our gas stove.

Has anyone here done away with their microwave altogether? What do you use to reheat things? Is there something like a toaster oven that does it faster? I keep reading about steam ovens but I'm not clear if that's a good solution.

We use our microwave a lot and would find a different place to put one if we had to get rid of our current above the stove model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We have a small countertop model on shelf in walk-in pantry. I only used it for reheating food before Covid. Now with DH and DS home for lunch, they make various frozen food in it for lunch. A more powerful model would be better for that kind of cooking

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I have a small countertop one also, but it needs replacing. I wouldn't mind trying to live without it- I think most things could be warmed up on the stove or toaster oven but ds likes frozen burritos- and a few things like that, not sure how I would do those.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think You have to decide how much your family uses it. Ours died in the fall and we had to replace it after a few weeks. Just couldnt do without it. Warming up leftovers became a PIA. Even making a cup of hot chocolate became a chore.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    We use our microwave a lot and would find a different place to put one if we had to get rid of our current above the stove model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is us as well. We use our microwave all the time. Even more right now since all 5 of us are home 24/7.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't think I could get by without a microwave. It's a lifesaver and gets used so much. I feel like there is no easy substitute for a microwave.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

For sure couldn’t live without it. We tried. Everything that you use a microwave for takes a lot longer using alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We did the same in our last house - we put a small microwave on the counter. I was so happy to get a decent hood, but we would not have functioned well without a microwave.