Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Anyone Planning Travel for Spring Break 2021?

DH doesn't want to stay at home during DD's spring break (March 29th through April 2nd) which I understand, as we've been under "safer at home" orders since March 2020 and he's getting stir-crazy, but I'm just not feeling it.

We will both be fully vaccinated by then.

Disney/Universal is not an option.

Arizona is also off the table, as the ILs will be clearing personal items out of their AZ house because it's as good as sold. (Being caught out there without family nearby last year while they went through a medical crisis scared them.)

So far, DH has mentioned New Orleans, LA; Rehoboth, DE; and "the Carolinas," which ... I don't know.

To be perfectly frank, I'm still shell-shocked from safer-at-home and didn't realize traveling for spring break was something he wanted to do.

Anyway, if you're planning spring break travel of any sort, especially if you're on the East Coast, please let me know where you're planning to go and why you chose that venue.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

We are not traveling. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with airplane travel until more people are vaccinated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We don't have any plans because I'm not going to be vaccinated by then.
    I would probably count on driving.
    What about NYC? DC? I also like smaller cities, especially state capitals. Raleigh is a great one and so is Columbus. Not Harrisburg.
    Shenandoah? I really like Charlottesville as well as Harrisonburg (?- where James Madison University is).

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We're in CA and will not be vaccinated yet. However we are hoping to rent an RV and drive to see a few colleges in state, as well as just enjoy a few things along the way. We all desperately need a break and need to get away from home, but I am nowhere near ready to deal with airports, planes, hotels, or dining in restaurants. We have always been good with road trips, but this time we won't need hotels. I'm just waiting on DH getting the ok for the days off then we're good to go.
    We kinda have to take advantage of spring break because DS1 applied to a few internships that would run the full summer so if he gets one, we would not be able to travel. And he'll be a HS senior in the fall.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    What about NYC? DC? I also like smaller cities, especially state capitals. Raleigh is a great one and so is Columbus. Not Harrisburg.
    Shenandoah? I really like Charlottesville as well as Harrisonburg (?- where James Madison University is).
    DH has declared himself "not a City guy," so NYC is out. (In the before times, I'd take DD regularly. She loves the train and my brother Joe lives a couple blocks away from AMNH, but the last few years, DD has preferred the Met.)

We haven't been to DC in ages and it's pleasant in the late spring (we'd probably be too early for Cherry Blossom Festival, but maybe we could visit the Zoo, although that's in, what? Alexandria? rather than DC-proper ... really not a big deal, however, since if we wanted to spend a week, we'd probably be best off staying in NoVA and taking Metro for most of the time) but I'm not sure if there's enough to interest DH. Maybe if we went to Chantilly to the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Center?

I haven't been to Charlottesville in almost 20 years; I love it. While I was there, I didn't make time to go to Monticello, as I was in the area for work, but that's on my list. (Of course, that means tours & museums, which DH finds boring. *sigh*)

My friend Bryce (er, more properly, Dr Hayes) is a professor of choral music at James Madison U. His photos of campus are gorgeous.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Leave dh at the hotel if you want to do something he doesn't. Everyone can do their own thing for a few hours.
    The zoo is in DC it's just out of the Mall area and kind of the lone attraction in that area of town.
    We often stay in Alexandria or Arlington to save some money (plus my kids always liked riding the Metro when they were younger). The new Wharf development in DC is appealing to me too. I had the Hyatt House booked for last year's Cherry Blossom Festival but had to cancel (obviously).
    The Air and Space out in Chantilly is cool.
    I can't remember what's open of the DC attractions now though.
    Yes, JMU is a gorgeous area! You can also add in Luray Caverns and make a nice itinerary. Again, ditch dh for a while and do Monticello. It is absolutely worth whatever disharmony and grumbling he might do to get to go on that tour (with or without him).

Our Spring break is around same time as yours too. Had hoped to visit my father in Florida but since we haven’t had our vaccines yet. Any kind of trip, if going will be drivable kind.

I like the idea of Carolinas for you. I’m waiting to do D.C next year or in 2023 as my youngest gets antsy at museums still. JMU is a beautiful campus and area. I would totally do that and stop in DC for 2 days or so to check out couple of specific museums. Leave DH at the hotel. Go to spy museum if your DD is into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Great timing on this. We're going to Florida but driving - I'm comfortable with that, staying at hotel one night, etc. (Thanks to the BBB who convinced me to do it the first time last summer, this will now be my fourth time making the drive so it's easier....) I will say that I'm much more comfortable with the risks around driving/hotel/picking up food than I initially was, as we learn more about the importance of time of exposure and mask adherence is actually better.

We aren't renting our condo in March this year. DH is flying down for a couple of long weekends (he's fully vaccinated, and flew for winter break as well even before that). He's trying to convince me to fly for a few days in March too - but I won't be vaccinated and pretty sure I'm not comfortable even with the direct flight. I *may* pick least busy days to fly/it's a direct flight/I'll lay low once there but...not likely. Still trying to decide if I'm being overly cautious but keep landing at 'no'.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I really don't feel comfortable flying, but DS1 and I will have to visit the colleges he's gotten into in Oregon and Washington over spring break before he makes a final decision. We have N95 masks and the flights are short enough that we won't need to take them off, so I guess we'll be ok.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dd1 has two tennis matches that week and an orthodontist appointment so we will won’t be going anywhere unless we decide to spend a few days in an air bnb on the coast. We may spend Easter with my grandma; that is also Dd1’s birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast