Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I haven't seen my dad in well over a year, so I am going to take the kids and Margot the Mutt to see him. It's about an 8 hour drive through COVID country in Texas, so I'm not too excited about it. We will take our own food to eat on the way and wipe our shoes after potty breaks. I feel a bit more comfortable visiting him now that he's vaccinated. After we leave his house, we will travel 2 hours south to my mom's house, as she will be fully vaccinated by then. I am contemplating canceling the trip to her house out of spite, but I know DD3 will want to go see her.

This part should go in BP, but she called me this past weekend and told me that they are driving within a mile of my house (mind you, they haven't seen me or my kids in over a year, and they live 5-6 hours away) on their way to Houston for a funeral. I asked her to please stop by and say hi on the way to the funeral vs. on the way home. She declined, then told me that she stopped at her sister's house for two hours. I am a bit hurt over the situation.

We are going to Aruba for 5 days for Spring break. DH and I are fully vaccinated (psychologists with direct patient contact). Our daughters are not vaccinated but I believe the risk to them to be extraordinarily small and I am comfortable with plane travel using masks and hand sanitizer etc. (Very little documented transmission on planes and I think we would know if lots of flight crew were contracting the virus on their many flights.) Once in Aruba we will be outdoors predominantly and eating outside which are rather low risk activities.
    We will test at home prior to leaving for Aruba, again to come home and we will follow our state's guidelines on quarantining and testing again once we are home.
    We have been quite good about following the social distancing guidelines for the past year but I do feel like this is a rather safe trip and a needed morale boost for our family.
    DD '06
    DD '14

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I really loved Raleigh for spring break a few years back. It'll be warmer and you can find outdoor restaurant seating. Both the childrens museum (Marbles?) and the natural history museums downtown are fantastic! And there are plenty of good outdoor parks- Pullen Park and drive over to Duke Gardens in Durham.

American History in DC was recently renovated.
    The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area is generally Covid conscious. I've also heard good reports about the zoo and their precautions. It's large and spread out with mandatory masking. The rural counties of NC are a different story in most cases, including many beach counties. However, you can always rent a house and do it safely with outdoor activities and takeout. We've had a few great experiences in the NC mountains in an AirBnB. The hikes are beautiful and the quaint towns are fun. Boone and Asheville are pretty Covid conscious and have good restaurants for takeout, especially Asheville.

We've been traveling for kids' sports games and competitions, even to states/areas with much less masking and restrictions. We've yet to eat in a restaurant, although I'm fine with outdoor dining as long as table are spread out a bit and servers wear masks. There's usually a park or outdoor area where we can eat takeout and when necessary, we've eaten in the hotel room. I wouldn't fly anywhere personally, but feel like travel can be safe when you keep your expectations flexible and make adjustments. The change of scenery does a world of good! We were in Virginia Beach for a meet recently and while it's not necessarily my type of vibe, it felt safe and we enjoyed being near the beach.

For hotels, we only stay in those with individual HVAC units that are direct from room to the outdoors and book rooms within the lower floors to avoid elevators. It's gotten easier and seriously, even a few days in a different place benefit us so much.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    Yesterday I decided to book a few nights at an AirBNB a short drive away in Palm Springs for our spring break. We'll basically being doing what we do at home (cooking, ordering takeout, taking walks/hikes) but in a slightly different spot. I found a pet friendly house, so thankfully we can bring our dog too.
    This is what we're hoping to do too! Just need to find something for our dates!

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinay View Post
    This is what we're hoping to do too! Just need to find something for our dates!
    We are doing a house with a pool in Palm Springs too!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

We are driving to a rental house on a very uncrowded beach in SC where we will cook some and get takeout some. But we’re doing it in May. That is our normal time of year for that particular trip. We don’t typically travel with the kids over spring break since my spring break and DS’s are at totally different times (doesn’t matter as much this year since he and I are both doing distance teaching/learning).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I really loved Raleigh for spring break a few years back. It'll be warmer and you can find outdoor restaurant seating. ...
    American History in DC was recently renovated.
    Warm weather doesn't appeal to me; I am weird. I can manage cold weather a lot more easily than I can warm.

We saw some of the startup of that reno when we were there in 2016; they had repositioned the Washington statue and walled off the 2nd floor galleries. When it's open again, I'd want to go through it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    Yesterday I decided to book a few nights at an AirBNB a short drive away in Palm Springs for our spring break. We'll basically being doing what we do at home (cooking, ordering takeout, taking walks/hikes) but in a slightly different spot. I found a pet friendly house, so thankfully we can bring our dog too.
    That sounds like what DH wants to do - go somewhere for the sake of not being at our house.

When I travel, I prefer to go and DO other things and get frustrated with staying in, but with all the things I enjoy being closed, I don't really see the point of spending money to stay somewhere when we could just plan a day-trip somewhere like High Point or Cape May Light or the Delaware Water Gap.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    We are doing our very COVID cautious trip to MIL’s beach house... for the fourth or fifth time since COVID began! We gas up with scan n go at Sam’s, bring food in the car, and drive straight there. We do 2-3 grocery pickups for any forgotten art supplies, food, necessities we forgot to pack. We eat in 100%, do solo stuff like rollerblading, walking on the beach, play board games, do art. And then we come back home without stopping. We get a pickup grocery order set for our return, and we go about regular life. The county where the house is is not very COVID conscious, but ours is. (Well, except for the partying college students.)
    I feel like the only way we'll be able to do anything out-of-town is driving, but I'm not exactly enthused about the idea of sharing a large road trip with DH in his car. I don't have the spatial awareness to drive his car further than a few yards and I'm not enthusiastic about the idea of developing that on the road hundreds of miles from home.

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    I haven't seen my dad in well over a year, so I am going to take the kids and Margot the Mutt to see him. It's about an 8 hour drive through COVID country in Texas, so I'm not too excited about it. We will take our own food to eat on the way and wipe our shoes after potty breaks. I feel a bit more comfortable visiting him now that he's vaccinated. After we leave his house, we will travel 2 hours south to my mom's house, as she will be fully vaccinated by then. I am contemplating canceling the trip to her house out of spite, but I know DD3 will want to go see her.

This part should go in BP, but she called me this past weekend and told me that they are driving within a mile of my house (mind you, they haven't seen me or my kids in over a year, and they live 5-6 hours away) on their way to Houston for a funeral. I asked her to please stop by and say hi on the way to the funeral vs. on the way home. She declined, then told me that she stopped at her sister's house for two hours. I am a bit hurt over the situation.
    Ugh; parents are weird. I haven't seen my dad since December 2019, but we've used Zoom and FaceTime to chat, plus we have a family group text so I don't feel like I'm totally isolated.

He started dating someone before the safer-at-home orders and she seems nice enough, but we haven't met her yet. (My sister and her kids have; my sister approves, which is a good sign, considering how much she's hated everyone else our parents have dated since the divorce.)

The last time I saw my mom, we had to get together at a Parkway rest stop. My mom needed the in-person interaction with someone other than her husband so badly!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area is generally Covid conscious. I've also heard good reports about the zoo and their precautions. It's large and spread out with mandatory masking. The rural counties of NC are a different story in most cases, including many beach counties. However, you can always rent a house and do it safely with outdoor activities and takeout. We've had a few great experiences in the NC mountains in an AirBnB. The hikes are beautiful and the quaint towns are fun. Boone and Asheville are pretty Covid conscious and have good restaurants for takeout, especially Asheville....
    I've been watching my friend J's Facebook page (she's in that area, but I've forgotten if she's closer to Raleigh or Durham) for things she likes to do with her kids - they're younger than DD, but seem to enjoy the same kinds of activities.

It's just I guess I don't see the sense in taking on all the driving to do things that we can do (albeit on a smaller scale - our bits of the Appalachians are more eroded, for example, and we're less spread out in places) right here in NJ, including outdoor dining (if the weather cooperates), quaint towns, and great places to go hiking, especially in the area where I grew up.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

So, are you talking yourself out of going somewhere?
    There are benefits to staying somewhere you can do as a day trip especially if the house has great amenities that make it special.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

So, are you talking yourself out of going somewhere?
    There are benefits to staying somewhere you can do as a day trip especially if the house has great amenities that make it special.
    I just ... kinda hate traveling just to travel, I guess?

DH wants to get OUT-OUT-OUT and I see his point, truly, I do, but I don't feel the same way.

Especially when I feel like I know he's going to sleep 'til noon (by which time DD and I will have been up for 5 hours already), take his sweet-a$$ time effing around on the computer, and not get out of the house or hotel until 2pm ... and we're exhausted because we've either given in to sniping at each other (I'm not proud of it) or taken a 3-mile walk to get breakfast or explore places for lunch.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast