Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

I was on Mirena for 15 years after the birth of my second/last child at age 40. I also take an SSRI. I have had very, very few perimenopause symptoms. Mild hot flashes a few times a day. I had some increased anxiety at one point and definitely more periods of forgetfulness. I am a lucky Mirena user--almost zero break through bleeding in 15 years. I loved that thing. I am fine now that it is out since I am post menopausal. But it was great.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Another update. Decided to skip even trying pill #2 and just going to the IUD. Since stopping the other BCP two months ago (that I started back in January) I’ve already shed the few pounds I put on when I started it and feel like I’m sleeping better. I just am not keen on the systemic hormone influence…I wasn’t before either but hoped the payoff would be controlled bleeding (fail!). So I called my gyn office and much to my surprise they can get me jn next week to place the Liletta iud (equivalent to Mirena). I was expecting to have to wait a few months to get an appointment. I got off the phone sooo excited and so that affirms my decision to give it a try. At this point I’ll take the constant spotting I had with Mirena over the heavy bleeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So after failed insertion attempt last week (see my post in the BP), I returned yesterday for attempt #2. Took a med the night before to dilate my cervix. Well that didn’t work and attempt 2 also failed. But the doc was awesome and really wanted this to work for me. So she had them prep the procedure room, got the ultrasound tech, and did it by guided ultrasound. Turns out my uterus is tipped very far forward and there’s a bit of scar tissue near the upper os of my cervix and so the instruments couldn’t get through to the uterus. So she basically clamped my cervix and pulled it down in order to get a straight line into the uterus. Good thing I have a very high pain tolerance. Even with the straighter line the equipment kept hitting a ridge of tissue in my cervix and it took MULTIPLE attempts plus several metal dilators to get it in. But success! It’s in there. And at least I know it’s placed perfectly and didn’t go through my uterus which honestly could’ve happened in attempt 1 and 2 without them knowing just how tipped my uterus is.

So now we play the waiting game and hope and pray that over time this lessens my monthly flow. Cause gosh by golly that took a Herculean effort for it to not work!

Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    So after failed insertion attempt last week (see my post in the BP), I returned yesterday for attempt #2. Took a med the night before to dilate my cervix. Well that didn’t work and attempt 2 also failed. But the doc was awesome and really wanted this to work for me. So she had them prep the procedure room, got the ultrasound tech, and did it by guided ultrasound. Turns out my uterus is tipped very far forward and there’s a bit of scar tissue near the upper os of my cervix and so the instruments couldn’t get through to the uterus. So she basically clamped my cervix and pulled it down in order to get a straight line into the uterus. Good thing I have a very high pain tolerance. Even with the straighter line the equipment kept hitting a ridge of tissue in my cervix and it took MULTIPLE attempts plus several metal dilators to get it in. But success! It’s in there. And at least I know it’s placed perfectly and didn’t go through my uterus which honestly could’ve happened in attempt 1 and 2 without them knowing just how tipped my uterus is.

So now we play the waiting game and hope and pray that over time this lessens my monthly flow. Cause gosh by golly that took a Herculean effort for it to not work!

Oh my goodness! The things we go through….
    I probably would have been very annoyed, but also gone through with it. It would have been worth it for me. I will say it seems like 9/10 women I know have had really good responses to hormonal IUD for the reasons you are getting it. 1/10 just haven’t worked out well. May the odds be in your favor.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Phew! I’m sure you’re glad that’s over. I hope it helps! I adore my copper iud and hate that I wasted any of my life on BCPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm so glad the doctor kept trying! Now everything is in place. Here's hoping it brings all the relief you need.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm so glad you got there!

I think only those who have been there know just how much these issues effect everyday life. (ie - I just cleaned out my car for winter, and took out all the black towels I kept there to cover my seats to protect them from leaks/bleeding through clothes. So happy with my hysterectomy!)

I hope you finally get the relief you need!

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Goodness, what an ordeal! I hope it is smooth sailing from here. I agree with the PP who says it's hard to know how awful these issues are until you have lived through them. I'm about five years post-hysterecotomy and very happy with it, but for your sake I hope that your Mirena is the final solution.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4