Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Has your doctor had you try Tranexamic Acid? It's a prescription drug that you take for a few days each month, starting the pills when you start your bleeding days of your cycle and continuing four or five days. Then off until you start your next cycle. It's cheap and easy, and might be worth a try. I've been taking it for three cycles in preparation for my upcoming hysterectomy to try and get my iron levels up before surgery. It lightens or stops your volume of bleeding.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Did you ever get the Period Repair Manual book I recommended in your previous post?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1975926773...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I incorporated her suggestions 3 months ago and my periods are now much lighter (heavy for half a day only) and no more clots (I was passing clots larger than a quarter all the time which is apparently not normal according to the book). My iron levels are also in the normal range now and I was able to skip my last IV iron infusion (was getting them every 6-8 weeks).

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Did you ever get the Period Repair Manual book I recommended in your previous post?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1975926773...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I incorporated her suggestions 3 months ago and my periods are now much lighter (heavy for half a day only) and no more clots (I was passing clots larger than a quarter all the time which is apparently not normal according to the book). My iron levels are also in the normal range now and I was able to skip my last IV iron infusion (was getting them every 6-8 weeks).

I did read it and found it very informative. I am still looking into micronized or natural progesterone and I started turmeric. Most of the other things suggested for heavy bleeding I am already doing. I have a low inflammation diet (GF and very low to no dairy), take a daily probiotic for gut health, exercise, take ibuprofen, etc. My iron and thyroid levels are always in the normal range, so that is good.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If it were me, I would try a different bcp than you have taken in the past and see if you can find one that works better with your body. I take bcp continuously to for endo and heavy/painful flow. I'm not a candidate for an ablation based on some uterine differences (shape, tipped, etc.) so this is how I've bought time.
    K

I think I'm going with trying another BCP. I called the nurse back and said I'd be willing to give it a try, would require it to be something different from the last one, reminded her/them that I only need it for heavy bleeding not BC. I figured it is easy enough to start/stop after giving it a few months, vs placement and removal of an IUD. I will keep ablation in my back pocket, though a discussion in a FB group I'm in for moms in my profession recently had a discussion about ablation and the number of women who reported a failed ablation was astounding to me.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I did read it and found it very informative. I am still looking into micronized or natural progesterone and I started turmeric. Most of the other things suggested for heavy bleeding I am already doing. I have a low inflammation diet (GF and very low to no dairy), take a daily probiotic for gut health, exercise, take ibuprofen, etc. My iron and thyroid levels are always in the normal range, so that is good.
    Are you taking the calcium d-glucarate? That is the supplement that was a game changer for me. It binds to excess estrogen and helps your body to get rid of it. If heavy periods are caused by excess estrogen then this solves that problem. I take 1000mg a day of the Thorne brand (started with 500mg the first month).

I was already eating gluten-free, little dairy, and taking probiotics (although I've since switched to one that helps bind to estrogen), so it was definitely something besides that which helped.

I was considering ablation when I turned 40 (this year) but have taken it off the table after my success with the supplements and after reading women's negative experiences with it (in a FB group for women with heavy periods).

Last edited by essnce629; 02-23-2021 at 05:48 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I will keep ablation in my back pocket, though a discussion in a FB group I'm in for moms in my profession recently had a discussion about ablation and the number of women who reported a failed ablation was astounding to me.
    I had heard this too and it was one reason I wanted to exhaust all other options before trying ablation.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Default Update re: heavy periods, perimenopause

So I’ve now been on BCP since March and have no change in my heavy periods, or at least not significant improvement. First month I spotted for three weeks. That stopped thankfully and my period is now regular in that it starts day 2 of the placebo pill and lasts 5 days. I still have a heavy day and that seems to be day 3 of my period. I’m emptying a diva cup every 2hrs or so. Now, I had been filling it every hr pre BPC but still every 2hrs is a very heavy flow. I also gained 5lb with the pill.
    (Which explains why IF seems to have stopped working!)

So what next? My annual visit isn’t until end of September and it’s with a PA not the doc I saw for heavy bleeding. And they probably won’t let me discuss this problem at my annual as you are supposed to have a “problem visit” scheduled for anything not routine. I’m guessing I can call and ask for phone consult with doc about next steps.

PS: haven’t tried calcium d-glucarate. Looking into that now.

ETA: calcium d-glucarate arrived today! Fingers crossed it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wendibird22; 07-15-2021 at 01:28 PM.

amyx4 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I was seen every three months for a year to find the right pill. Every three months, we'd change the Rx until I was happy.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you've been on the new pills for three full cycles, and there's no improvement, it's time to try something else. I would call and see if they can just do a new script over the phone for a new kind. If it's not working by now, chances are it's not going to.

I had my hysterectomy in March. Best decision ever. It took me a long time to get there; and I'm recovering slower than normal... but it was so the right decision for me. My iron and vitD went from undetectable to normal, I went from sleeping 12+ hours a day and being a zombie to 9 hours and fairly normal, and gave four huge bags of tampons/pads/depends to the homeless shelter. I'm still only maybe 85-90%, but getting stronger. Better than I've been in at least five years, and still improving.

Don't hesitate to stand up and say it's not working for you. If your doc won't listen, scream louder! If they still won't listen, find another doc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast