Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh... and do tell the doc about Tranexamic Acid I mentioned above. It's a new treatment.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is there a reason you are taking the placebo, can you just do a continuous 3 week dose?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Is there a reason you are taking the placebo, can you just do a continuous 3 week dose?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I always get breakthrough bleeding/spotting when I try that. I also spotted constantly with an IUD. I think my body is bound and determined to bleed no matter what!

Kestrel, I'll definitely ask about Tranexamic Acid.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Are you taking the calcium d-glucarate? That is the supplement that was a game changer for me. It binds to excess estrogen and helps your body to get rid of it. If heavy periods are caused by excess estrogen then this solves that problem. I take 1000mg a day of the Thorne brand (started with 500mg the first month).

I was already eating gluten-free, little dairy, and taking probiotics (although I've since switched to one that helps bind to estrogen), so it was definitely something besides that which helped.

I was considering ablation when I turned 40 (this year) but have taken it off the table after my success with the supplements and after reading women's negative experiences with it (in a FB group for women with heavy periods).

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for this info! I'd never heard of this supplement before and am going to try it after doing some research. I had an awful time with mirena years ago (spotted or bled continually for 4+ months, headaches, severe nausea, sore swollen breasts - I seriously thought I was pregnant the entire time.) I couldn't tolerate it so had it removed 5 mos in. BCPs and depo provera don't agree with me - I seem to be very hormone sensitive. Previous GYN wanted me on BCPs, which I refused. Current GYN is pushing hysterectomy due to my endometriosis and "you don't need it anyway since you're done having kids" but I don't like the idea, at least not yet. Just so sick of cycles lasting less than 3 weeks and bleeding so heavily that I'm sprinting to the bathroom every hour even with a large Diva!

What probiotic are you taking? Any side effects from the calcium d-glucarate?

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    So I’ve now been on BCP since March and have no change in my heavy periods, or at least not significant improvement. First month I spotted for three weeks. That stopped thankfully and my period is now regular in that it starts day 2 of the placebo pill and lasts 5 days. I still have a heavy day and that seems to be day 3 of my period. I’m emptying a diva cup every 2hrs or so. Now, I had been filling it every hr pre BPC but still every 2hrs is a very heavy flow. I also gained 5lb with the pill.
    (Which explains why IF seems to have stopped working!)

So what next? My annual visit isn’t until end of September and it’s with a PA not the doc I saw for heavy bleeding. And they probably won’t let me discuss this problem at my annual as you are supposed to have a “problem visit” scheduled for anything not routine. I’m guessing I can call and ask for phone consult with doc about next steps.

PS: haven’t tried calcium d-glucarate. Looking into that now.

ETA: calcium d-glucarate arrived today! Fingers crossed it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been taking 500mg of the calcium d-glucarate, but haven't noticed a difference. I will try increasing to 1000mg.

Quote Originally Posted by amyx4 View Post
    I was seen every three months for a year to find the right pill. Every three months, we'd change the Rx until I was happy.
    Had my Sept appointment and have an RX for a new BCP, Mili, which I guess is the replacement for Sprintec (which I remember being on many years ago). I stopped the other low dose BCP in Aug and had a "normal" period this month (normal, is in not on BCP) and it was as heavy as ever, even with the calcium d-glucarate. I'll start the pack of Mili BCP in a few weeks. The PA said to give it 3 months and see if there's any change and if not we can discuss next options.

I wish I could know how close I am to menopause or if my hormones are way out of wack. GYN office won't do any hormonal bloodwork because they say they just fluctuate too much day to day to be of any use to measure.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've been taking 500mg of the calcium d-glucarate, but haven't noticed a difference. I will try increasing to 1000mg.
    I take 2000mg (4 capsules) a day. 2 at lunch and 2 at dinner. Thorne brand.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Oh... and do tell the doc about Tranexamic Acid I mentioned above. It's a new treatment.
    My dr brought up Tranexamic Acid to me. I hadn't heard of it before so can't comment on experience like Kestrel. I'm not going that route but it sounded promising if you are a candidate.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    But you have had negative reactions to both methods they recommended
    Well, the only clear negative effect of the IUD was the spotting, which might not be the case now. The other symptoms may well have been to gluten. Also, after 10 years the reaction to the IUD may well be different. Because of the different clotting profile of IUD vs oral contraceptives, since IUDs are less systemic, I think they are better choices for older women.

Ablations are helpful for some people, but they are more invasive, need to be done in the hospital and need anesthesia. They also often have medical insurance hoops to jump through and can be expensive for uncovered costs for some. For some people they work. Others I see back in a couple years getting a hysterectomy. Personal I would try and IUD first, then see. They do have a place, I am just unsure if the OP is there yet.

Here is a review paper on ablations: https://www.jogc.com/article/S1701-2163(15)30288-7/pdf

Edited: I don’t get the turmeric, by the way. What is the thought process on that? I know some doses can impede clotting and since it’s not regulated we tell everyone to stop taking it weeks before surgery.
    Last edited by dogmom; 09-26-2021 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Well, the only clear negative effect of the IUD was the spotting, which might not be the case now. The other symptoms may well have been to gluten. Also, after 10 years the reaction to the IUD may well be different. Because of the different clotting profile of IUD vs oral contraceptives, since IUDs are less systemic, I think they are better choices for older women.

Ablations are helpful for some people, but they are more invasive, need to be done in the hospital and need anesthesia. They also often have medical insurance hoops to jump through and can be expensive for uncovered costs for some. For some people they work. Others I see back in a couple years getting a hysterectomy. Personal I would try and IUD first, then see. They do have a place, I am just unsure if the OP is there yet.

Here is a review paper on ablations: https://www.jogc.com/article/S1701-2163(15)30288-7/pdf

Edited: I don’t get the turmeric, by the way. What is the thought process on that? I know some doses can impede clotting and since it’s not regulated we tell everyone to stop taking it weeks before surgery.
    This is helpful! Yes my OB mentioned that for insurance you have to show you’ve tried all the other things before you can get coverage for ablation.

Your response and the other thread on Mirena have me seriously considering that route. I did request the new BCP but haven’t started the first pack yet. Thinking of calling my OB office and seeing about scheduling IUD…my office uses Liletta now but said it’s the same as Mirena.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is helpful! Yes my OB mentioned that for insurance you have to show you’ve tried all the other things before you can get coverage for ablation.

Your response and the other thread on Mirena have me seriously considering that route. I did request the new BCP but haven’t started the first pack yet. Thinking of calling my OB office and seeing about scheduling IUD…my office uses Liletta now but said it’s the same as Mirena.

full disclosure, I had the Mirena. I got it on suggestions of the Gyn fellow when I was going worked up for an incidental finding of a mixed ovarian cyst. I started having some BP issues afterwards (mid 40’s), but in reality it was I was getting my BP taken more often for more doctors visits and I started following it more, so I probably already had borderline hypertension. I sort of went crazy going down Internet rabbit holes on effects or hormonal IUDs. Complained to him about the BP, he said it was unlikely and probably more likely I was in my mid 40’s and starting to develop essential hypertension. He said it nicely. I manage to put my nurse brain on and realize he was probably correct. Got my tubes tied during ovarian cyst surgery, got on low dose lisinopril, kept the IUD for period control. Got IUD out 5 years later when they were in there for another procedure, cursed myself for getting it out for 2 years before menopause finally hit. Continued with my hypertension, well controlled if I’m on medication, well past getting it out. So it was not the IUD causing my high blood pressure at all. I’m not saying some women don’t have issues with it, but I think it’s worse trying. If you’ve had vaginal births they tend not to be that bad to put in and take out for most women. I found one big dose of ibuprofen was all I needed.

BTW: Women actually have harder to control hypertension than males, they just get it a little later and no one hears about it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast