Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Parenting resources for sibling rivalry?

I'm useless on this subject. DS1 and DS2 never fight. That's because DS1 is a total peacemaker (AKA pushover). There are ample conflicts between the other three kids! But I'm terrible at it. I usually handle it by just "taking away" what ever is being fought over and I'm sure that's not always the fair solution. I find these things utterly exhausting but I know I'm not solving anything by wishing these conflicts away. I'm looking for books, blogs, instagram accounts or what have you that might help with this.

Thank you!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

What happens if you just let them figure it out? Like totally hands off. What happens?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Following! I only have 2 but they fight like cats and dogs! And because they are boys, if I leave them to handle it, it quickly turns to hitting and biting, and throwing things.

I do have a book by Laura Markham called 'Peaceful Parents, Happy Kids' that a friend recommended. I haven't read it yet.
    Last edited by petesgirl; 02-23-2021 at 08:00 PM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    What happens if you just let them figure it out? Like totally hands off. What happens?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD hits viciously. DS3 whines and DS2 (who is older, more socially astute and somewhat mean-spirited when bored) runs roughshod over everyone.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m in the same boat with older kids. Funny thing is problems are usually DS1 (my quieter kid) being bored or being mean.
    Last edited by jgenie; 02-23-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I’m in the same boat with older kids. Funny thing is problems are usually DS2 (my quieter kid) being bored or being mean.
    DS2 is my easiest kid BY FAR. What is so insidious about these interactions is that he is always quiet and gets what he wants leaving DD and DS3 in a whining and hitting mess and they get "punished" for that behavior, and DS2 doesn't "do anything wrong" yet somehow there is always mayhem when he's bored!

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Following! I only have 2 but they fight like cats and dogs! And because they are boys, if I leave them to handle it, it quickly turns to hitting and biting, and throwing things.

I do have a book by Laura Markham called 'Peaceful Parents, Happy Kids' that a friend recommended. I haven't read it yet.
    I just saw the recommendation! I will check this out. I'm on a streak getting library books from curbside pickup!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I just saw the recommendation! I will check this out. I'm on a streak getting library books from curbside pickup!
    Keep us updated!

My DS2 and DS3 fight like feral animals a lot of the time. DS3 loves pushing DS2's buttons and DS2 always overreacts to the tiniest things which only makes DS3 enjoy it more. Occasionally they do play together really well but not often.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

I just signed up for curbside pickup for both books mentioned in this thread. It has been a long time since I've read a purely parenting driven book! I will certainly distill my opinion on what (if anything) is helpful on that front, haha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast