Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default People at work don't care about me :(

And it makes me sad. I live in TX, so was greatly impacted by last week's arctic winter storm, 2 days without power/heat, etc. On the first day without power, I got a "request" to do a rather large project for work. Cell towers weren't working well here either but I managed to get an email out about what was going on in TX (as if the national news weren't enough). My boss tried to be helpful and asked how important it was to get this project done, given my situation. The answer was basically that it was needed within a week. No email saying "are you OK?" No texts. No calls. Nothing. Just "we need it next week". From people I work with on a daily basis. So, cold, frustrated, and angry, I got it done. Don't ask me how I did it, but I consider it a superhuman feat. I'm also dang good at what I do.

And I'm so mad and so sad.

That is all.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m sorry!

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am sorry - they are fortunate to have someone as dedicated as you. You deserve better.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Wow, that's crazy. Hopefully it's a case of awkward people not knowing what to say so they don't say anything. Still not right though.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

I'm sorry. Some people suck.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Wow, that's crazy. Hopefully it's a case of awkward people not knowing what to say so they don't say anything. Still not right though.
    Not to generalize/stereotype but if these are techy people they might just not be good at that stuff. But, it still sucks and they really should figure out the basics of empathy

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Not to generalize/stereotype but if these are techy people they might just not be good at that stuff. But, it still sucks and they really should figure out the basics of empathy

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Definitely not tech. And mostly women, too.

I shouldn't let it bother me. It's not like these are friends, they are colleagues. And like with gifts, I probably shouldn't *expect* anything. But it definitely felt like piling work onto me without even a single word of compassion was like salt in the wound.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

How completely disappointing! It's so frustrating to find out that people you interact with routinely handle a situation so differently than you would handle it yourself (as I'm sure, if situation was reversed, you would have reached out to check on colleagues). I'd be upset too.
    Lizi

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That really stinks. People are so wrapped up into their own world sometimes (most times!) that they don't think of others.

Are these women located in another region? I wonder if they are from the snowy northeast for example and oblivious/ignorant to how impactful snow and freezing temps are to places like Texas who aren't built for that.

I heard from plenty of my TX friends who work at colleges how they were just supposed to carry on as business as usual, while homeschooling kids whose schools were closed/damaged, work from home, respond to pandemic needs, and oh yeah can you also take care of these thousands of students without power, water, food, internet too all from your home office you squeezed out space for in your closet? While the pandemic has in some ways helped work environments give employees flexibility with hours and work from home, it has also created an unfair expectation that you can now work 24hr a day without regard to what is going on in the employee's personal life. It's not sustainable.
    Last edited by wendibird22; 02-24-2021 at 11:38 AM.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Definitely not tech. And mostly women, too.

I shouldn't let it bother me. It's not like these are friends, they are colleagues. And like with gifts, I probably shouldn't *expect* anything. But it definitely felt like piling work onto me without even a single word of compassion was like salt in the wound.
    I learned things about my colleagues the hard way, too, when my daughter died-- some made the effort to put in on a visa gift card for us, some came to her funeral, some did not ever acknowledge it at all, and my boss was worst of all-- asking if I could come in and work the day after her funeral, even though company policy stated I could have 3 full days off.

I just think a lot of people get really uncomfortable when anything goes wrong in life and they just prefer to sweep it under the rug instead of confront the hardship. We don't know how to emotionally support each other very well in our society.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast