gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Apparently masks are harming people...

I know, I know. I’m so tired of fighting this ridiculous fight with Covidiots. But a person in a position of leadership at our church has for the 50th time sent me an email saying wearing masks is actually harming people. Normally I’d ignore his insanity but this time he’s copied 2 doctors at our parish who also say that there is no proof masks help prevent the spread of COVID19. They’ve actually laughed at our family before for wearing them. So this time I’d like to reply all and attach proof from respected hospitals showing that masks help prevent the spread of the disease. We no longer attend mass with these people but I’m still in a leadership role at this church so I can’t avoid these people, unfortunately.

Does anyone here have handy links to well-respected institutions’ studies? This email with the doctors copied has given me the opportunity to put these people in their places once and for all.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

"Swiss Cheese Model" from The Cleveland Clinic:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/-/sca...fety-faqs.ashx

CDC Brief from 11/20/2020 on Masking:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...sars-cov2.html

June 2020 from UC-San Francisco - what masks do:

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41...-masks-prevent

The Mayo Clinic also has some support:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavir...k/art-20485449

CHOP also has a summary page here:

https://www.chop.edu/how-protect-you...-2019-covid-19
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It is really concerning that doctors are spouting nonsense. I would hate to be their patient.. and I too have heard of such doctors, so it's not just your community members. UGH.
    You could post this evidence review, a journal article, in addition to the UCSF link above.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

Perhaps someone else will have a better option. I was thinking it would be good to have a scientific review, though I question their scientific reasoning abilities.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I remember reading this analysis several months ago.

https://pws.byu.edu/covid-19-and-masks

But good luck convincing anybody. These are the kind of people who don't listen to reason.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    I remember reading this analysis several months ago.

https://pws.byu.edu/covid-19-and-masks

But good luck convincing anybody. These are the kind of people who don't listen to reason.
    Oh wow, that is interesting, I know the lead author, he's in my field. Good for him for summarizing!

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default spelling

Priests saying this nonsense is hurting the church. While I didn't hear this in person because I don't go much anymore, apparently the Msgr at my own Catholic church made disparaging remarks against masks and Covid during a in person mass to honor a parish member. People who haven't been going made an exception and went. Apparently he said they weren't necessary, could hurt people and this whole Covid thing is sham. It ticked off so many people that he's been getting many letters from registered members leaving the parish. Members have also cc'd the Diocese and have no intention of registering at another parish going forward. Not too bright considering the shrinkage of the flock in general.
    Last edited by Jeanne; 02-25-2021 at 04:35 PM.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
    Priests saying this nonsense is hurting the church. While I didn't hear this in person because I don't go much anymore, apparently the Msgr at my own Catholic church made disparaging remarks against masks and Covid during a in person mass to honor a parish member. People who haven't been going made an exception and went. Apparently he said they weren't necessary, could hurt people and this whole Covid thing is sham. It ticked off so many people that he's been getting many letters from registered members leaving the parish. Members have also cc'd the Diocese and have no intention of registering at another parish going forward. Not too bright considering the shrinkage of the flock in general.
    Well, like any profession there are some excellent people and some duds. My overall experience with the many priests I’ve come into contact with has been outstanding.

Thank you, lizzywednesday and petesgirl for the very helpful links. One of these doctors I’m emailing works at Mayo so maybe this will knock some sense into him. I’m looking forward to penning this email!
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 02-25-2021 at 04:54 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
    It's funny because my church is the complete opposite-- our leaders have taken covid very seriously and were at the forefront of turning church meetings virtual last spring. I think my particular congregation even suspended Sunday meetings before the schools did here. However, the lay membership of the church has been vocally opposed to masks (where I'm at anyway).
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Well, like any profession there are some excellent people and some duds. My overall experience with the many priests I’ve come into contact with has been outstanding.

Thank you, lizzywednesday and petesgirl for the very helpful links. One of these doctors I’m emailing works at Mayo so maybe this will knock some sense into him. I’m looking forward to penning this email!
    I was kind of surprised to hear he did that. The Catholic church can't afford to keep disenfranchising it's flock. He's got so little help and priests are spread so thin these days that a leader should know better.