Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Why can't men ask for directions?

We had some electrical work done and are waiting for the county inspector. For 10 days! We are very rural, and have three phone numbers and "please call for directions" on the permit. The permit has been pulled by three _different_ inspectors who didn't show, didn't call and just re-submitted the inspection saying the couldn't find the house. We have no cell phone coverage here at all. So - we tell everyone they need a "real" GPS to find the house, not a cell phone, or call for directions. All three inspectors got to the area where cell phones die, and and gave up. But didn't call! SO Frustrating. Why didn't they go back one mile and call?
    I called again today (they only have a one hour window per day when you can call - also annoying). Spoke to the (female) manager, and she had the issue solved in less than an hour.

How? She assigned it to the only female inspector! And you know what? She called and was over shortly thereafter!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What a great outcome!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Crazy! I'm intrigued by how hard to find your place must be. I've been up in the mountains and been somewhat successful in using my phone app, so long as I had already calculated the route prior to losing service. I want to say I was using Waze? It was pretty nice to see that it still plotted both where we were in the drive and also which turns we should take. I was grateful because it was complicated! Maybe I'm old school (or maybe it is because I am a woman?) but I always plot out my route before I start rolling and know pretty much where I'm going before I start!

How frustrating for you! It did kinda made me chuckle, imagining all those men lost and refusing to ask for directions. And the woman getting it done!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That’s funny! Glad they finally had a woman take care of it.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Crazy! I'm intrigued by how hard to find your place must be. I've been up in the mountains and been somewhat successful in using my phone app, so long as I had already calculated the route prior to losing service. I want to say I was using Waze? It was pretty nice to see that it still plotted both where we were in the drive and also which turns we should take. I was grateful because it was complicated! Maybe I'm old school (or maybe it is because I am a woman?) but I always plot out my route before I start rolling and know pretty much where I'm going before I start!
    I do the exact same thing!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

OP here. We live in what's called a "forest reserve". 100+ year old trees with limited logging, replant requirements and no hunting/wildlife refuge. There are 220 - 20 acre lots with dirt and gravel roads with little or no road signs. It's fairly easy to find the reserve gate, but then we have miles of dirt road to the house.

For the most part, we love it here. No worries about funky development or neighbor problems - we're too far apart. There are fairly strict rules about set-backs, so we don't generally see our neighbors. We have daily visits from deer, bunnies, and tons of birds. Occasional raccoons, eagles, hawks, and we've seen elk, black bear, and even tracks from a cougar (though we didn't get to see the cougar). There are negative things, too - we have to be very careful with our trash or we can attract raccoon/opossum attention, we have to be very careful with pets. A recent severe wind and snowstorm knocked out power for five days and two huge trees across our access road that we had to go out in the storm and chainsaw/haul out of the road. We are without power perhaps twenty or thirty days a year, as we are "end of the line" when power is out. We have electric, landline phone and crappy internet, but no gas, water, cell phone coverage, sewer, or mail delivery. Oh, no school bus either - just to the gate.

For us, we're happy here, though there are disadvantages being so far from "civilization".

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    We had some electrical work done and are waiting for the county inspector. For 10 days! We are very rural, and have three phone numbers and "please call for directions" on the permit. The permit has been pulled by three _different_ inspectors who didn't show, didn't call and just re-submitted the inspection saying the couldn't find the house. We have no cell phone coverage here at all. So - we tell everyone they need a "real" GPS to find the house, not a cell phone, or call for directions. All three inspectors got to the area where cell phones die, and and gave up. But didn't call! SO Frustrating. Why didn't they go back one mile and call?
    I called again today (they only have a one hour window per day when you can call - also annoying). Spoke to the (female) manager, and she had the issue solved in less than an hour.

How? She assigned it to the only female inspector! And you know what? She called and was over shortly thereafter!
    It's the same way that men "look" for something:

Open the cabinet door or drawer.
    Stare at what is visible.
    Close said drawer/door and say they can't find it.

Then we go to look and actually MOVE things arounds. Bingo.

Shout out to the female inspector!
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

OP here. We live in what's called a "forest reserve". 100+ year old trees with limited logging, replant requirements and no hunting/wildlife refuge. There are 220 - 20 acre lots with dirt and gravel roads with little or no road signs. It's fairly easy to find the reserve gate, but then we have miles of dirt road to the house.

For the most part, we love it here. No worries about funky development or neighbor problems - we're too far apart. There are fairly strict rules about set-backs, so we don't generally see our neighbors. We have daily visits from deer, bunnies, and tons of birds. Occasional raccoons, eagles, hawks, and we've seen elk, black bear, and even tracks from a cougar (though we didn't get to see the cougar). There are negative things, too - we have to be very careful with our trash or we can attract raccoon/opossum attention, we have to be very careful with pets. A recent severe wind and snowstorm knocked out power for five days and two huge trees across our access road that we had to go out in the storm and chainsaw/haul out of the road. We are without power perhaps twenty or thirty days a year, as we are "end of the line" when power is out. We have electric, landline phone and crappy internet, but no gas, water, cell phone coverage, sewer, or mail delivery. Oh, no school bus either - just to the gate.

For us, we're happy here, though there are disadvantages being so far from "civilization".
    It does sound lovely in many ways! Question for you— do you own a generator for power outages? We need one for preparedness and I’m curious if you have a recommendation.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You had me at 100 year old trees! Amazing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast