Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    kali is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    It sounds like he’ll care for a more expensive watch.

Does DH or another family member have a watch to hand down? DS didn’t wear a watch much until he got the watch from my family. It’s nice to see him wear a watch my family members wore.
    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    He would definitely care for an expensive watch. I love your idea of getting a hand me down. Will definitely poll male family members.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Yes we are on the replace-frequently timex train too! DD, age 14 has had 9 watches. Maybe 10. Would a Fitbit with the analog face setting be any help to him?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Isn't it infuriating? We bought him a Timex back when he was 11 thinking something cheap but reliable would be ideal for a kid. Now he's 16 and we've spent over $150 replacing that "starter watch" .

We'd actually be okay buying him a Fitbit or even an Apple watch. But he is a creature of habit and prefers something traditional. Maybe we'll replace the Timex one last time and then buy him something really special as a graduation gift.

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

If you can’t find a good hand me down from someone. My husband and I really love our Citizen Eco Drive watches. The battery recharges in the sun and never has to be replaced. Some of them aren’t too expensive. Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-D...4819569&sr=8-4

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Watch for a teenager?

Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    He would definitely care for an expensive watch. I love your idea of getting a hand me down. Will definitely poll male family members.
    My dad couldn’t read the analog face, he needed a big digital watch, and that’s when he gave DS the watch. I went over the timeline, it’s a 1984 Seiko, and worked out
    1. It was my uncle’s watch
    2. My grandfather wore it after my uncle died
    3. My dad got it after my grandfather died (uncle and grandfather are my mum’s side of the family)
    4. Now DS has it.

I did have the watch repair place look at it. Some internal workings were replaced, and nearly cost what equivalent new watch would cost. The bezel has 37 years of nicks and dings, but we kept it. I remember my uncle wearing it (it has an orange face so is distinctive), and didn’t care what it cost to repair. Staff at the watch store told me they often repair older watches handed down.

Last edited by niccig; 03-03-2021 at 10:45 PM.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    My dad couldn’t read the analog face, he needed a big digital watch, and that’s when he gave DS the watch. I went over the timeline, it’s a 1984 Seiko, and worked out
    1. It was my uncle’s watch
    2. My grandfather wore it after my uncle died
    3. My dad got it after my grandfather died (uncle and grandfather are my mum’s side of the family)
    4. Now DS has it.

I did have the watch repair place look at it. Some internal workings were replaced, and nearly cost what equivalent new watch would cost. The bezel has 37 years of nicks and dings, but we kept it. I remember my uncle wearing it (it has an orange face so is distinctive), and didn’t care what it cost to repair. Staff at the watch store told me they often repair older watches handed down.

That's really great! I love the hand-me-downs.

Both boys have cheap Timex watches here. I tried getting DS1 a nicer watch for Christmas and he said he preferred the cheap one. I think he's on his 3rd since age 9 or 10. Maybe 4th. Maybe when this one breaks he will pick something else.
    Kris

kali is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by m4nash View Post
    If you can’t find a good hand me down from someone. My husband and I really love our Citizen Eco Drive watches. The battery recharges in the sun and never has to be replaced. Some of them aren’t too expensive. Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-D...4819569&sr=8-4
    I was just looking at that exact watch! Will run it past DS!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2