Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kali is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Watch for a teenager?

DS needs a new watch. He’s been wearing a Timex Weekender with a basic cloth strap for years. They fall apart within 18 months; I looked at my Amazon purchases and realized I’ve bought the same watch 4 times in the last 5 years! He doesn’t even wear it to bed or in the shower. What happened to “takes a licking, keeps on ticking”?

He wants something simple, analog, and waterproof, preferably with a fabric strap. I want something reliable and under $100. Please share your suggestions!
    Last edited by kali; 02-26-2021 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added link

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is the watch itself breaking or the band? If the band, I'd just buy a replacement band, knowing that fabric ones aren't going to hold up long term. If the clock part keep breaking, then I'd carry it to a watch repair place (yes, even one of the cheap mall ones) and see if they can tell you what's going on. Plus, if it's less than 1 year old, it should still be under Timex warranty, so I'd contact them directly.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Is it the battery that stops? Get a metal band if he’ll wear it. DS prefers a metal band. I can’t help with watch as DS wears a 1984 seiko watch that used to be my uncle’s watch and then my dad’s.

We have a watch store at local mall that repairs and sells watches. We don’t go to regular jeweler after one didn’t put back on DH’s watch after battery placement and water caused damage (waterproof watch too). They could tell you what needs fixing and if worth it. They pretty much rebuilt insides of DS’s watch. They told me not much less than buying similar model new, but once learned it was passed down, told us to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

The bands have held up longer than the dang watch. Typically it just stops working. This time, it failed so catastrophically it was almost funny. DS tried fiddling with the crown thinking maybe it wasn’t in all the way and the back of the watch fell off!

Timex wants $8 to repair it and ship it back to us (and of course we’d pay to ship it to them). Not really worth it for a $35 watch, especially one that’s likely to break again in another year.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Would he wear a swatch? DH has one that’s easily 20 yrs old. He loves it.

Default Watch for a teenager?

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Would he wear a swatch? DH has one that’s easily 20 yrs old. He loves it.
    Yes, Swatch watches can be under $100. OP how careful would your DS be? It may be worth to pay closer to $100 or a little more. DS got my uncle’s watch when he was 13.5, I was worried he would lose it, but he’s been careful with it.

He’s actually very careful with his things. It’s one of the reasons I find it ridiculous that his Timex watches keep breaking. He likes a more traditional look but swatch might make something that would work. Or maybe it is time for him to have something nicer, like a Seiko.
    Last edited by kali; 02-27-2021 at 12:08 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You could also just treat the Timexs as disposable and buy a few fun, different styles that will go with different outfits. But, I would personally just steer clear of the brand and probably upgrade since he has proven that he’s a watch wearer.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes we are on the replace-frequently timex train too! DD, age 14 has had 9 watches. Maybe 10. Would a Fitbit with the analog face setting be any help to him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    He’s actually very careful with his things. It’s one of the reasons I find it ridiculous that his Timex watches keep breaking. He likes a more traditional look but swatch might make something that would work. Or maybe it is time for him to have something nicer, like a Seiko.
    It sounds like he’ll care for a more expensive watch.

Does DH or another family member have a watch to hand down? DS didn’t wear a watch much until he got the watch from my family. It’s nice to see him wear a watch my family members wore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast