Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default How is your high school/middle school doing health screenings?

Our schools start hybrid on Monday. (My child is staying remote, but I still get the info.) In order to get into the building in the morning, child or parent has to do a health screening online. The child then has to show this screen on their phone to get into the building.

However - what they are doing for those that do not have a phone angers me. They are doing a separate line that has to do extra steps to get in. I don't know how to avoid it, but... school hasn't even started yet and the kids in class today (virtual - hybrid starts Monday) are already calling it the "poor" line or the "loser" line.

I am so glad my kid isn't going to have to deal with this!

Is your school doing something similar? Any suggestions?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ours is online. Everyone has to have their temp taken upon arrival so I think there is just one line (per door- each grade has their own entrance and exit into the building).

My kids are all remote, but the forms are completed by parents online to the best of my knowledge. High school has temperature cameta. My child told me they were expected to have a phone in High school to play kahoots and various class activities. Quite a change from the 8th and below kids where they were not allowed to have a phone outside of their lockers. We ended up getting all our kids individual phones vs sharing...

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Our schools start hybrid on Monday. (My child is staying remote, but I still get the info.) In order to get into the building in the morning, child or parent has to do a health screening online. The child then has to show this screen on their phone to get into the building.

However - what they are doing for those that do not have a phone angers me. They are doing a separate line that has to do extra steps to get in. I don't know how to avoid it, but... school hasn't even started yet and the kids in class today (virtual - hybrid starts Monday) are already calling it the "poor" line or the "loser" line.

I am so glad my kid isn't going to have to deal with this!

Is your school doing something similar? Any suggestions?
    Thats terrible! I’d be the itchbay that called the school and let them know that Facebook is showing poor people at their school being treated differently. It’s not smart for the school to push this different policy and it’s not helping the poorer kids. Seriously, wth?

We are remote learning too but all the school notices come to us so I know what the school is doing but not how well it’s going. Our school is asking parents to take temps of their kids first thing in the morning and keep them home for a fever or unusual health change. In other words, if the parent suspects their kids’ sniffle or cough is due to allergies, they can send them. Keep in mind, though, that our school- while keeping the kids in pods and distancing in their classrooms and at lunch- isn’t requiring anyone to wear a mask. So maybe not the best school to model (and completely why we decided to virtual lean this year).
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We do a health assessment online, they check off each kid in their 1st period class, if the parent hasn't done the assessment they have them go to the nurse, take temp and call parent to answer health questions.

No lines getting into school.

Hybrid currently, 2 x week Jr and high school, about 2500 kids total at our high school. Community positivity rate is at 1.8%, hoping we are able to get to 5x soon. It's time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have an app to fill in before they go to school w/ temp and screening questions. Until a week ago they were also doing temp checks before kids got out of car or on bus and before sports practice or any other time kids came to campus. They just made decision to stop doing on campus temp checks last week. I don’t think the temp checks did much for finding Covid+ students.

bcafe is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No in-depth health screenings or temps taken at school. We are in person.
    Last edited by bcafe; 02-26-2021 at 08:44 PM.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our school has been hybrid since Sept. Temp checked on the way in the door and then health screening questions done weekly via email to parents. Not sure if they ask the kids any daily questions when they are temp checking.

Ours is online. You have to fill out the screening form before going to school each day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ours in an app on the phone or you can do it at home and print it off, same entrance either way, but it's also a private school and phones are the norm. I honestly never thought about it, probably a sign of my own privilege. I can see how that would be rough/unfair in some situations.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast